When do you throw the towel in and get a new project?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am at a point that I really wonder what I should do about my project boat.
Its been 1 minor Hurricane Humburto and 1 major Ike that my project has been through.
I have learned that Texas does not play when it comes to boat titles.

Here is where the boat stands and what I know it needs
1) the tilt trim does not work.
2) the in floor tank might leak
3) has not been started since the send day that I got it.
4) The floor was solid but now has a soft spot from the water under the cover.

So I really wonder if these thins can be easily fixed or should I find a boat that father along and cut my losses. I am so ready to be on the water and having much fun.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: When do you throw the towel in and get a new project?

From what you describe, it just sounds like a project boat. If you are not a tinkerer and are not fond of having a few months of your life taken away to fully restore it, then you would be better served buying a boat in better condition. In time all things can be repaired. If the hull is in good shape the rest is just labor/money intensive details.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All up to you, buddy! Boats cost $$ no matter what year, make or model.

You're not going to be on the water real soon with that issue list, though. Floor, tank, hydraulics, tune-up all take time! If you really like that hull and the engine/drive are in good shape, get crackin!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when its done

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have a conflict goin' on there. You ask when to throw in the towel on a PROJECT, but then say you want to get on the water. If you want a project....finish. If you want on the water....cut your losses and lose more on another boat. I'm no expert, but I'm learning. Boats are a roll of the dice until you figure out what's wrong. If you by another used boat, you could wind up in the same or another situation. If you by new, you spend big money on a boat that was built as cheap as possible, but just shiny enough to make you spend your money. Keep your boat and make it bullet proof for less.

erikgreen

Captain

Yeah.

Instead of figuring out when to throw in the towel, figure out if you:

A) Want to be on the water ASAP
B) Want to work on a boat project

ANY boat can be rebuilt with the right amount of money and labor, the question is, what's fun for you?

Erik

PS: My solution to the decision above was to toss the first project when I couldn't get on the water quick enough (got my money back from parting it out) then I got a second boat and got it on the water "quickly" after repairs. Boats number 4 and 5 are now in "project" status and #2 is about ready for the water.

So I guess I picked both A and B :)

F14CRAZY

Ensign

A boat must be conquered. You do not give up.