Yamaha 4 Stroke electrical issue

seanotes93

Recruit
I have twin 2002 Yamaha 4 Strokes (225 HP) that when I adjust the motor trim at the throttle control, the motors drop RPM dramatically (3,500 to 1,800 RPM) and run rough, sometimes even stall. Yesterday after running hard and trolling for several hours, one of the engines would not start. They are in a saltwater environment. Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 4 Stroke electrical issue

Will move this to the Yamaha forum for you.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bad ground, check the connection terminal next to the oil filter and the main battery ground.

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

post the full model number.
there were some issues with some year production runs that will be covered by yamaha regaurdless of warreny status.
thanks DonS.
once you post the model numbers I can solve your issue.

TopShot25

Cadet

I had the same issue with the starboard engine of my twin F-150?s. When I touched the trim switch it acted exactly like a kill switch. When I slowed down to an idle speed it killed the engine. I switched batteries and the problem followed the battery. I then checked the ground connection and it was slightly loose. Tightened everything up and I have not had any problems since.

Therefore I would think it?s a ground problem also, unless you fall under Rodbolts issue.