OEM Starter or Aftermarket?

mstevens

Cadet
My 97 Glastron 3.0lx Alpha One Gen 2 wouldn't start yesterday. I took it to the shop and he tapped the solenoid until it it engaged and started. (I swamped this last year.) Started up fine the rest of the day. I don't want to take any chances or deal with the frustration of this not starting over the summer. The quote from the shop was over $400 for new starter and labor. Ebay has them for $80 or so. I don't mind aftermarket parts especially when I'm dealing with an older machine like this one. The only concern I have found searching the forums are shims. Should I spend the big bucks and get the new one from the dealer or get a rebuilt one? By the way, I am not that mechanically inclined, but I have replaced a starter on my 90 Camry by myself. This one appears to about as simple, but I don't know if I am fooling myself. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: OEM Starter or Aftermarket?

If you can do it on your camry you should be able to do it on a 3.0L. Obviously make sure you disconnect your battery first.
As far as aftermarket VS oem. You hit the nail on the head already. Aftermarkets are about 50/50 wether they need shimming or not. It can be a PITA if you have to pull the starter 2 or 3 times to get it shimmed correctly.
Your best bet is to see if you have a starter/alternator/electric motor shop near your area and have yours rebuilt.

mstevens

Cadet

So if I go aftermarket, where to I get shims? How do I know I would need them? If I need them, I assume they go between the starter and the mount much like a washer?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You get them where ever you buy the starter. If they can't provide them... then don't buy a starter from them. If it grinds when you crank it or doesn't release when you let go of the key then you need shims. Its a trial by error thing.
So there is no starter shop in your area? Whats your zip code?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need new or aftermarket. Your local auto electric shop (as in starter/alternator/motor rebuilder) can generally rebuild the existing starter unless it is so trashed it can't be salvaged and that's a rare situation. Buying an $80 starter on e-bay is a recipe for unhappiness.

mstevens

Cadet

My zipcode is 78840. Wouldn't I need to take that starter to a shop that specializes in marine starters. I am concerned about the quality of work (and safety.)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

http://local.yahoo.com/results;_ylt...ylv=3?p=electric+motors&csz=Del+Rio,+TX+78840

Try giving 1 and 2 a call. Rebuilding starters isn't that hard to do if you have the tooling. If they can get the parts, which they probably can, any starter shop should be able to do a marine starter. Most electric shops handle everything, auto, marine, air, industrial etc etc.... But you won't find out untill you call.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

any reputable starter repair shop will be able to fix it.

mstevens

Cadet

What would be a fair price for rebuilding my starter? I know this obviously depends on the parts and time. I'm guessing about $100-125. A new mercruiser is $229.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I just bought a reman. starter for my 4.3l at Napa for $100.,+ change....

mstevens

Cadet

is it Marine or Auto? I was told that if you don't use marine, it's dangerous and if caught, it's a huge fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Of Course it's Marine rated......

Your price might be slightly Higher,... I get special pricing from my local Napa guys...

mstevens

Cadet

Any ideas on how to remove bolts? I put a socket on it and I cant budge it. Are they right hand thread?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Nope.... just put some muscle on it. Righty tighty left loosey... make sure your not backwards.
They may have been overtourqed the last time, or rusted into place. That happens, welcome to boating.
I have a couple of 15 inch long 3/8th drive extensions that I have put together and then put on an impact gun from time to time.
Try using the box end of a combination wrench and bumping it with a hammer.

mstevens

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I think the bolts are either 1/2 inch or 13mm. My socket wrench is only about 10 inches. I think I'll try a combination wrench and hammer or hook another wrench on the combination for a little more leverage.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

maybe you should also replace the starter solenoid???
gm types mounted on the starter can be removed, disassembled, and cleaned up. there is a washer that makes contact with the back of the posts. the post and washer will corrode and the solenoid will not make good contact with the post. as you bump the starter, the washer can rotate around and make better contact. and on the older solenoids, the post can be rotated 180 degrees to give an clean surface for the washer to contact.