1970 Johnson - new owner questions!

cparkerc

Seaman Apprentice
Evenin'

Picked up a 1970 25 hp tiller Johnson. Model # 25RL70E that at some point had the lower unit changed to a short shaft. I have a couple of questions that i know you can answer!

1) I think the proper fuel mixture (from searching here) is 50:1. What oil would be the best option, and is the fuel mixture correct?

2) I want to freshen up the paint on the motor. The cowl seems to be some sort of plastic. What type of paint would be best? Lower unit is metal, prime with metal etching primer then what?

3) i live at approx 5,000 ft and will definitely run the motor and boat at higher elevation. What is the rule for changing props for different elevations? Do i need to do anything different with the fuel mix if i am at say, 8,000Ft?

Thanks for your help!

Carrington
Fort Collins, CO

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970 Johnson - new owner questions!

50:1 is the correct fuel/oil ratio.

I do not know about the paint, but I'm thinking that you'll maybe need to re-jet the carb for higher altitude...and that I'm not sure what you'll need, but that is the direction you should follow.

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

local dealer can advise you best on the high elevation question. i looked at manual, did not see anything.

cparkerc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help.

Appreciate it

Carrington