power to starter soleniod? HELP!!

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I have a 92 Mariner 115hp, I was out on the lake putting it in the slip for the first time this year. Went driving around and after a short trips the starter making noises and having issues. I opened the cowl and noticed the top bolt on the starter had come off. So the bushing and the spring weren't able to push the starter teeth back down.....so the starter was running maybe for an easy 45 minutes maybe longer. I got back to the docks, but once there it wouldn't start or even act like it wanted to start. I got the bolt and spring back on the starter.....I also replaced the soleniod thinking it might have gone bad. Well that didn't help either. I did that thinking because I tried to jump the starter by touching the two starter connections.....and didn't get jack. I am at a complete LOST of what to try, I am going to try and get a voltage meter to make sure I am getting power to the starter and soleniod. I tried with one I had sitting around the house, but I think it was broke because I wasn't getting any reading on anything it touched (tried battery and soleniod). My thinking is having the starter being run for so long I wore it out. Anyone help me with a process of elimination, the boat is currently in the water at the docks so it is a little hard to work on, but my next thing to do is take the starter off and take it and have it looked and an possibly rebuilt. Any thoughts would be helpful, BEFORE I SHOOT IT!! Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: power to starter soleniod? HELP!!

You probably wore out the brushes on the starter or worse. You shoulsd probably open it up and look around. Check the bushings for looseness as well. Also find out why the gear did not kick down, like it should

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

thanks Chris......I think the reason the gear didn't retract was because the top bolt fell off and then the spring didnt have any pressure to push the gear back down. I am guessing on this, but that seems about the only reason. If I wore out the bushing because the gear was up, I need to have it rebuilt. I just wish there was a freaking easy way to determine it. I read somewhere on here, that you can take jumper cables and touch the positive on the battery and then touch the starter to see if it works....if it works then I have other electrical issues and not the starter. If it doesn't work, then 99% chance its only the starter. thanks for any heads up!!

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Any other thoughts before I take the starter off? I just want to make sure I am roughly going in the right direction. Thanks

saumon

Lieutenant

Luckily, the starters on outboard are about the only part that can be done by a non-marine shop. Bring it to your nearest alternator/starter shop.

Scoots

Cadet

Hope I'm not too late for this. You said you put a new solenoid in.... after you did this and turned the key did you hear any clicking from the new solenoid? Is your battery fully charged? If you have electric choke, does it work whe n you turn the ignition? If "no" to any of these questions it would seem that you have a problem with the ignition perhaps.

Scoots

Cadet

whoops, with the exception of the battery.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Well I didn't hear the soleniod click, but I was on the lake/docks also. I am not sure exactly about the "automatic" choke.....on mine you have to push the key in to have the choke work...is that automatic? The battery is fully charged...plus I had bought a second one to use this year also, so I did switch to make sure. What is the best way to check and make sure its not an ignition issue? The thought did go through my head......what if the motor thought it was in gear, it wouldn't start would it? Please let me know if there are ways to check things prior to taking the starter off. I do believe its the starter, because it was engaged on the flywheel for a very long time...over 30 minutes. Thanks guys for some help!

Scoots

Cadet

When you turn the key you should hear a click from the solenoid. I f you want to check the starter you can use some jumper cables and connect neg to ground and positive to the post on your starter that the solenoid is attached to. I f the starter is good it should spark right up. I think you may have to have the ignition in the " on" position

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A multimeter, a wiring diagram for your motor, and a systematic troubleshooting approach should do the trick. The below troubleshooting guide for a 150hp V6 may not match your setup exactly, but it may be close enough to get you started.

Good luck

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26803&d=1240510980

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26804&d=1240510999

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26805&d=1240511009