Lower unit installation PROBLEMS

al9981

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the water pump on 1985 Mariner 75hp 4cylinder inline. The shifter was on forward when I started. After I put the LU back, the prop turn cw and ccw on Neutral. Cw on Forward, but it s locked with Reverse. I thought the prop suppose to turn ccw when the shifter is on reverse.

Keep in mind the motor is off and I am testing to make sure I have the right shifting before I tighten the LU.

Any help is appreciated.

al9981

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower unit installation PROBLEMS

Just an update.
I took the lower unit back out. Set the shifter on Neutral. Put the shift shaft on forward, and the prop went cw with the clicks. Put the shift shaft on neutral and the props went cw and ccw with no clicks. put the shift shaft on reverse and the props are locked (no cw or ccw).

Is that normal? I didnt check before I started with the water pump, so now i am in confusion. Please help.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is normal. I like to reassemble them in neutral.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It's not uncommon for the reverse gear engagement dogs to be straight cut, not ramped as forward gear is. So reverse will NOT ratchet like forward will.

al9981

Seaman Apprentice

Great. I didnt think of this but, my father in law suggested this idea to make sure of the shifting is correct. We shifted into reverse and we turned the fly wheel and the LU did go ccw. So it was fine from the first time. I had to take the LU out about five times, but I guess it was good practrice. Thanks for everybody's help.