Buying a new boat V8 vs v6

Maxxthedog

Cadet
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and did a search, but did not really get an answer to my question.
I currently own a 1995 20' StarCraft Bowrider. It has a 5.7 V* that did not make it through the winter. It has a cracked block. My wife mentioned that instead of fixing it maybe we should look at a new(er) boat (great wife!).
I have owned 3 boats in the past. A regal with a 140 HP merc that was grossly underpowered. A Mastercraft skiboat that had great power and this one. I sold that Mastercraft and got the bowrider once I had kids to get a family friendlier boat.
I have a place on a lake and use the boat for skiing and tubing. Some people wakeboard behind the boat.
The new boats that I?m looking at in the area (Milwaukee, WI) all have the 4.3 for my price range ($20,000). When I look at the HP it is close to what my current 5.7 is putting out.
Will I notice much difference in the 4.3 from the 5.7 in an 18-20 ft boat?
Will buying a boat that is 10 years newer perform better? (Has technology changed). I have all of the usually brands around here: Four Winns, Glastron, Maxim, etc.
Looking at cost and performance I think I?m better off fixing my current 5.7 and staying with that boat. But, I cannot pass up the opportunity to look at a new one when the wife gives the ok. My current boat is in good shape for 13 years old, no ripped seats or big marks on the hull.
Thanks Tom

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying a new boat V8 vs v6

I know the newer V-6 outdrives have as good or better performance than most of the older V-8's, plus less weight and better fuel economy. Every year, we ponder getting a newer boat. But, after cleaning up the old gal each spring, and boating all summer everywhere our friends go in their expensive new boats, we are always happy we did not. My friend did not winterize his v-8 Bayliner a couple of winters ago, and his block cracked. After researching the cost of a new engine vs the cost of a new boat, plus the pennies he would recieve for trying to sell a nice boat with a cracked block, he went ahead and had a new motor put in. I think he paid $5 grand for everything installed and ready to go. He is very happy he went that route.
For us, seeing our motorhome parked on the side of our house all winter while making payments on it is hard enough to look at. Having to make payments on the boat that is parked behind it would be even worse!

haulnazz15

Captain

Honestly, unless you are changing boat types or going up significantly in size (3 ft or more) I don't see any reason to not just fix the engine. It will be much cheaper, and you won't be buying a boat loaded with somone else's problems. In addition, you could build that 5.7L with more horsepower or even make it a 383 stroker. I would just try to keep it at 300HP or below so you can keep the Alpha outdrive (I assume that's what you have). There hasn't really been any major technology advances in boat design for runabouts in 30+ years, so upgrading won't give you much more utility other than maybe a few ergonomics like cupholders. :) my .02

Maxxthedog

Cadet

Good Points.
Especially you Dave about paying for a boat that you only use 5 months out of the year.
Ball park is around $5000 to fix, so same price range as your friend.
Even if the lower unit (yes it is an Alpha 1) went bad, I would still have less in it then a newer boat.
Again, I guess my thinking is that this is the boat that I will have for the next 10 years I hope). If I'm putting a new engine in it now I should get that life out of it. But at that point it will be 20 years old.
But again, the dream of a new boat........
Hauln, I would look for a dealer leftover or one with very low hours. I would not want someone else's problems like you said.
I take it in tomorrow for an accurate estimate. That will give me a week to look around before I make a decision.

I guess the main question: Will I be happy with the performance of a new 4.3 (vs my current 5.7) once my kids get older and start skiing and wakeboarding (they are 5 now).

nlain

Commander

Fix the engine in what you have and enjoy the boat some more especially in the economy of the day. I certainly would not jump off into a long term payment at this time. Just my .02 By the way, there is nothing wrong with looking at newer, there could be a good deal out there somewhere, I went to 2 boat shows this year, didn't buy nuttin. :D

jkust

Rear Admiral

My thought is that you could certainly buy a newer maybe even upscale model for less than 20k. I assume you have a 20k cash budget so, I will ignore the money discussion. That upscale, smallish model with any v8 will be a rarity compared to the 4.3. I rarely see many smaller, under 20 foot bowriders with V8's at lease here in MN. My 18.5 footer is rated at 270hp max but I have never come across one with that upgraded an engine. I would bet if I stepped into my same boat with a 5.7 compared to my 4.3, I would never want to drive my v6 again. I say go for it, dump the old girl and live a little. Boats today look a heckuva lot different inside with even cheap boats having nicer materials.

MikDee

Banned

I don't think you'll be happy with a 4.3V6 in anything above 18-19', after having that 5.7 in the boat you have, but I see the newer 5.0 V8 delivering the same 260-270hp nowadays, and probably more economical as well, I would maybe consider this engine if going for a new boat, but it sounds like you have a nice boat to start with, maybe you should just breathe new life into the old girl, there are so many options available to power pack that 5.7 V8 nowadays, I'd be tempted to go that way.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you love the old boat put in a 300hp motor. if you dont, change keeps life interesting. you should be able to find a nice boat for 20k.

Maxxthedog

Cadet

One more comment:
What about a deck boat vs. a traditional bow rider.

I have never been on one, so I do not know what to expect.

My guess would be that if I was loading up to tow to a lake for the day it might ba an option, but because 95% of what I do is on the lake where I have a cottage the it would not be necessary.

nlain

Commander

I am familiar with the SeaRay 220 and 240 Sundeck boats, I have friends with each, the layout is great, you have a small sink, various storage compartments, a head sorta, you would have to look at different makes and models to check the layout for what you want it to be. I like the SeaRay layout myself, I have been in others and did not like. The best advice I can give is to go with the family and check them out, get in them, see how they fit your family, if you know someone that has a deck boat go out with them and see how it works. You will have to decide what fits your needs and wants best.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you have CFO approval to buy a newer one, DO IT. You are spending good money after bad in my opinion by spending 5 grand on that old of a boat. You will never get the 5 grand back and with its age other stuff is bound to break. I would simply sell it as is for whatever you can get and go buy something newer. You can find a nice 20 foot bow rider with a V8 for under 20K right now in the 2004-2005 range. If you can find a 5 Liter with MPI that is even better, that is what I have and after having the 4.3L I can tell you that it is way better. As your kids get older you will also appreciate the new features found in some of the newer boats.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you know the extent of the damage to your engine? Can you give us more specifics?

$5K for what? is that a new crate engine or a new block or what? That's way more than I'd pay unless it's a new complete engine - and in that case I might just pass on the re-power and buy a 2002-2005 used in great shape.

My block cracked badly a few winters ago (1985 5.0L V8). boat in good shape, so I found a used 5.7L (1990 I think) for $1200 running perfect and had it installed for $500 or so. $1800 done, and upgraded power plus some I sold parts off the old one to recoup a few bucks.

Let us know what direction you go. Good luck.

Maxxthedog

Cadet

The $5000 is for a rebuild warrantied long block parts and labor
Unfortunately I do not have the means to do this myself anymore or I would. It is not hard work, just a liitle time consuming. If I'm going ot fix it, I do not want to go the used engine route (although technically that is what a reman is).

I contacted a number of people in the Milwaukee area and got the same reply. Unfortunately I do not know anyone that does this (and someone that I would trust).

haulnazz15

Captain

Superpop, I disagree whole-heatedly with what you said. There is very little break on an old boat that wouldn't break on a new boat!! Wiring doesn't really go bad, the engines run the same! The ONLY realy value in ANY boat is the powerplant/outdrive and the transom. You can replace floors and interior for relatively cheap, but if the motor and outdrive are shot, it's worth anything. Even if he puts 5K into the boat, he is likely good for 20+ years without any engine issues. The outdrive with proper maintenance will last just as long. So where is this bad money going to? The 15K extra to have that newer boat smell which will still have the same engine and outdrive life?

Boats don't really have much more horsepower, run faster, handle differently, or perform better than they did when 20ft runabouts first came out in the 70's. They have added better foam to seat cushions and some cupholders, but everything else is the same. There's nothing a new boat can do that a good boat from the 70's/80's/90's won't. (offshore powerboats aside)

Maxxthedog

Cadet

In doing a quick internet search I found this boat:

2004 Chaparral 204SSI
5.0 MPI with 85 hours, Alpha 1
Lists as 3400 lbs dry

I have never really paid attention to my meter so I do not know how many hours I put on a year, but I'm thinkning that this is low.

This would be the boat that would come closest to what I currently have. Thoughts on this boat and engine?

superpop

Superpop, I disagree whole-heatedly with what you said. There is very little break on an old boat that wouldn't break on a new boat!! Wiring doesn't really go bad, the engines run the same! The ONLY realy value in ANY boat is the powerplant/outdrive and the transom. You can replace floors and interior for relatively cheap, but if the motor and outdrive are shot, it's worth anything. Even if he puts 5K into the boat, he is likely good for 20+ years without any engine issues. The outdrive with proper maintenance will last just as long. So where is this bad money going to? The 15K extra to have that newer boat smell which will still have the same engine and outdrive life?

Boats don't really have much more horsepower, run faster, handle differently, or perform better than they did when 20ft runabouts first came out in the 70's. They have added better foam to seat cushions and some cupholders, but everything else is the same. There's nothing a new boat can do that a good boat from the 70's/80's/90's won't. (offshore powerboats aside)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, there are all kinds of things on a boat that wear out or go bad, guages, cables, gaskets, outdrive, electronics, outdrive tilt trim pump and seals and the list goes on and on, It is two pages long of parts and pieces for the outdrive and motor alone when I pull out the warranty coverage sheet on my 2006 boat with a VP drive package. I had an 96 Wellcraft that was an awesome boat and I replaced just about everything on it due to wearing out or breaking, I spent a ton of money on that boat and guess how much I got back when I sold it, ZERO, or about what I paid for the boat. Sounds like this guy does not want to be wrenching on the boat but rather using it, that is why I suggested a new one. And the newer ones are better in my opinion, most of the new ones are wider and have a lot more creature comforts.

superpop

I just picked up an 06 and they are AWESOME boats, go drive it, you will buy it. Great for families as well. Plus, you get a lot for your money with this boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Well since you asked and since that is my exact boat plus a foot, you can't go wrong. That is a great package and believe me that an MPI is rare (again around her in MN). Do yourself a favor and go compare that 5 year old boat to just about any new equivalent sized boat and be shocked at how nice the Chap is especially if it is in your 20k budget. Chaparrals are in the top echelon of boats for quality construction and handling but not for top end. A simplistic example: It takes a 22 foot new 2009 Glastron with a v8 to equal the weight of my 2003 18.5 foot Chap with a V6. The difference is not bricks but quality materials. And yes in a vacuum 85 hours is low.

Maxxthedog

Cadet

Well I dropped my boat off this morning for an estimate. I'll know by the end of the week what the damages are. In the meantime I'll look around and see what else is available. I'll keep all of you updated. Thanks for your input.

Maxxthedog

Cadet

I got an estimate of $5100 for a reman long block (18 month warranty) new belts, water pump, spark plug, wires, cap and rotor.
We'll talk about it tonight, but I think that we will fix this boat. It is in good shape, no rips in the seats or big dings in the hull.
Also, to find something similar to what we have, we were looking at $17,000 used to $28,000 new.
I have a 2 kids, 5 and 3. The 5 year old got up on skis last year so if they keep at it, in another 5 years, I might be looking to change to a different boat anyway.
Thank all of you for your help and opinions; it helps to get an outside point of view to really weigh both options.