1995 OMC Cobra - Fourwinns 190

95fourwinns

Recruit
Hi,

Wondering if someone out there could help me to determine which lower unit would be the correct replacement. I have a 95 Fourwinns Horizon 190 with a 5.0l and an OMC Cobra Sterndrive. My understanding is that in 94/95 Volvo merged with OMC and started to manufacture these drives while continuing to label as OMC Cobra. So I am not sure if I should be looking for an OMC or a Volvo SX. The P/N is 3868156 and the S/N is TO791610. I would really appreciate any info on this topic.

Thanks very much,

Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 OMC Cobra - Fourwinns 190

In 94 it was called a "Joint Venture" between OMC and Volvo. Turned out to be the intial buying process and end of OMC.
The 94 drive and the SX 1.66 outdrive that you have is a Volvo drive. You have an OMC SN but the parts you need can be purchaced from Volvo, and Volvo techs have the special tool and schooling to fix it.
What is the FULL model number of your engine. The 5.0L engine could be Ford or Chevy, depending on year and model number.

PS: OMC always liked to name numerous different types of drives the same thing. So beware of what you want to buy by the "Cobra" name.

OMC = Obsolete Marine Company = went out of buisness over 10 years ago.

95fourwinns

Recruit
Re: 1995 OMC Cobra - Fourwinns 190

Thanks very much. Its definitely a Ford 5.0. Don't know the model number of the motor. You pretty certain its the Volvo? Other than engine model# any indicators I should look for?