1985 Evinrude 70 hp no spark

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, great site, plenty of info.

After having read numerous past posts, I have a question. From everything that I have read, if the fuse is blown, I shouldn't be able to turn over the engine because of no power to the starter. But this isn't the case, the engine turns over just fine but no spark. I checked the 20 amp fuse behind the starter and it is blown. Does this make sense. I just bought this boat and motor (cheap) because he said the boat has holes and it and the motor sank last year.
It turns out the boat doesn't have holes (probably just swamped) because I filled it with water and nothing leaked out, but I can't get any spark. Tonight just for laughs I thought I would check the fuse and its shot. Could it be this simple.
When it sank last year, he said that they pulled it out, drained the carbs, and it started right up, then 1 week later it wouldn't. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 1985 Evinrude 70 hp no spark

I ran the 3 cyl. motors for 9 years. Not likely that all 3 coils are out. More likely powerpack or stator. I had a stator quit on me once, but powerpack failure was more common. Unfortunately, you need special equipment to test the powerpack. Can also be a wire broken or shorted someplace.

I once bought a boat for resale that had sunk. The reason it sank was that spray from the chines entered the boat beneath the rubber trim-the deck and hull were not sealed. Better check that before sinking it again.

Hi all, great site, plenty of info.

After having read numerous past posts, I have a question. From everything that I have read, if the fuse is blown, I shouldn't be able to turn over the engine because of no power to the starter. But this isn't the case, the engine turns over just fine but no spark. I checked the 20 amp fuse behind the starter and it is blown. Does this make sense. I just bought this boat and motor (cheap) because he said the boat has holes and it and the motor sank last year.
It turns out the boat doesn't have holes (probably just swamped) because I filled it with water and nothing leaked out, but I can't get any spark. Tonight just for laughs I thought I would check the fuse and its shot. Could it be this simple.
When it sank last year, he said that they pulled it out, drained the carbs, and it started right up, then 1 week later it wouldn't. Any help would be appreciated.

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 Evinrude 70 hp no spark

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are awesome.