Kid nuked nothing for 10 min. M'wave is toast!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
My 10 yo child prodigy tried to use the timer on the microwave the other day but accidently started it for ten minutes without anything in it. Turns out that's bad. Now nothing works, not even the clock. Is there any repairing this thing outside of a full rebuild or is it headed for the curb? Thanks.

spots

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kid nuked nothing for 10 min. M'wave is toast!

I'm not savvy with microwaves, but it sounds like a fuse.

(If you set the microwave on 0% power, you can use it for a timer.)

Good luck

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Not sure about residential units, but commercial units have thermal limit fuses. Usually they are located in the airflow from the blower. These will completely open all the circuits. Be careful as the capacitors in microwaves can hold a charge that is deadly. From my experience, residential micros are just as costly to repair as a new one.

WizeOne

Commander

Paid a repairman $90 to replace a fuse in ours. Don't know what made it pop but it's been several years and it has never done it again. When the fuse blew, there was nothing. I even think the lites were out but I can's say that for certain.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

a new micro wave is cheaper than that

mscher

Lieutenant

I replaced a fuse on a microwave I had, about 20 years ago.

If I remember right, I just removed the metal surround, with a few screws and then simply replaced an inexpensive buss-type of fuse.

You surely own a screwdriver. :)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

by matched do you just mean the design was similar, or they were one whole piece?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't know about the internal fuse, I'll look into that. Thanks!

And yeah, I got's me a screwdriver.:p:D

WizeOne

Commander

by matched do you just mean the design was similar, or they were one whole piece?

I suppose they could be seperated but they are basically one piece. Except for the one fuse they both look good and work well (electric oven) even though they are 21 y/o.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

My mother-in-law did the same thing to my built-in microwave. i was looking at $600 to replace it.

I had a local repairman out working on my dishwasher, and he was bragging that he could fix any appliance. I open up my well toasted Microwave. he said no problem I can fix that. It cost me $150, for them to remove it, take it to the shop, clean it, fix it, replace the glass tray that cracked from the fire, and the turn table the glass tray sits on. Then they came back and re-installed it for me.

Well worth the $150.

It was both a fuse and the tube that nukes everything.

My mother-in-law was house/Kid sitting while my wife and I were helping a friend bring thier boat from Fl to NJ. Was supposed to be a 7 day trip turn into 11 days. The last day, as my wife was talking to her mom, all I hear is fire where is there a fire. Then the phone went dead. My Mother-in-law did the same thing, but she did hit power 0 to use it as a timer, on that microwave power 0 is high, there is a button just for a timer.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya, it's a fuse, been there done that!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

The housing is bolted on with those fancy torx security fasteners with the pin sticking up through the middle. They're making this far from easy.