Preventing Theft

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Preventing Theft

Mine is kept behind a locked gate, with a locked tongue with 4 quite large Great Danes and one angry Chow. When were out with it, its always parked way out in plain sight, locked to my truck with its own loss prevention items. It really only takes a little deterrent for a opportunistic thief to be deterred, the serious ones take a close look to see what they need to come back with later. Fortunately, you cant see past the 5 big dogs to get a look at it!

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

My house is in walking distance from Joe Horn (look him up if you dont know what he did). Theft is low IMO due to that incident. Personally I would not kill anybody for stealing something of mine.
My boat is fenced inside my yard with my dogs (Boxers). I do own many firearms including two beutiful AR15's. If I did catch you in my property I could kill you and just say I felt in danger (which Im sure I would). This is 100% ok in the Lone Star State. This is a great deterrent to all the rif raf out there.
No fancy locks needed around my boat.

I did look it up. A police detective sat in his car and witnessed the incident instead of getting out and helping.:eek::confused::(

204 Escape

Ensign

+1 Joe Horn !!!!!!!

I'd love to have him in my neighborhood !!!!!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I choose to live in an area where theft is practically non-existent. Problem solved.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe Horn is a thread all within itself. I remember hearing the 911 tape back when it happened.

IMO, between Joe Horn and his past vs. the two criminals and their past; I'd say this world is much better off with one Joe Horn than the two POS criminals he off'ed.

skargo

Banned

I choose to live in an area where theft is practically non-existent. Problem solved.

I live in one of those areas as well. I am WAY off the road, have a 900' driveway and live in the woods. I have a mean(looking and sounding) dog, and my nearest neighbor is a retired, local cop who owns a security business and keeps tabs on the hood.
We shoot behind my shop so locals know there is firepower here.

All that being said, it's still foolish to think it could never happen ;)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Quan LX came to our neighborhood to speak against the injustice(he thought it was an injustice). People brought their air horns(like the ones some of keep in our boats) and motorcycles. Every time he would start speaking the bikers would rev up their loud Harley's and others would blow the air horns. They did not allow him to say anything.
Like I said I would not kill over material things but, Im glad somebody sent a message to any would be thiefs. Do I like Joe Horn as a neighbor? YES!

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My house is in walking distance from Joe Horn (look him up if you dont know what he did). Theft is low IMO due to that incident. Personally I would not kill anybody for stealing something of mine.
My boat is fenced inside my yard with my dogs (Boxers). I do own many firearms including two beutiful AR15's. If I did catch you in my property I could kill you and just say I felt in danger (which Im sure I would). This is 100% ok in the Lone Star State. This is a great deterrent to all the rif raf out there.
No fancy locks needed around my boat.

Another reason to love Texas!

Hitch locks are good. Hitch locks + CHL = Better.

Having said that, here is an interesting aside:

I live in a rural subdivision where the lots are 3-20 acres each, what the demographers are calling the exurbs. In the summer of last year, I was awakened by the doorbell in the middle of the night. When I looked outside, there was toilet paper everywhere. The next day we began the cleanup. Believe it or not, we stopped counting at 500 toilet paper rolls. Yes, you read that right. We estimate there were around 700 rolls used. Now, imagine how long it would take for somebody(s) to cover our 4 acres with 700 rolls of toilet paper. We slept through it. Since I suspected some neighborhood teens, I sent out a message to the neighborhood informing everyone of the incident and letting them know that my wife and daughter were frightened by the fact we had people prowling around the house at 2:00 A.M. I further advised that anybody prowling around my property at night would be shot. I have also since beefed up my security.

About a year later Fox News reported a teen who was shot dead tp'ing a house.

Now you can call me a redneck or a chest-beater, but my wife and little girl have a real and legitimate fear of prowlers. It is my duty to protect my family, my home and my property, and I take it very seriously.

Tying all this back in: If somebody wanted my boat, they could take it for sure, but they would do so at risk of life and limb, with no remorse on my part, except for the cleanup.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My boat is stored in my garage but on vacations and when the trailer is unattended at the ramp I don't do much. The cut off tools mentioned earlier just make me think ultimately I will be relying on my insurance. All I do is put a lock through the lever (where the safety pin normally is) on top of the tounge locking it in the down position. I relize that does very little to deter a theif. Then, because I am aware of the spare tire theives and because 6 lug spare in my size is expensive and hard to find I lock the spare to the spare tire holder and cable lock the spare, to the trailer since the holder could easily be unbolted. In MN where the small bowriders rule, my boat gets a lot of attention and ultimately if it gets stolen, I have an agreed value policy to cover it. A bigger bet is that someone takes the trailer at a ramp since again it is not a basic model. I hope this never happens but there is crime everywhere.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Just get insurance. If someone wants something bad enough they will get it. My dad lost 2 good size 38' sail boats right off the back of his home on the intercoastal. One was a motor sailer that was a slow old tug, but stable and roomy. Just came out on the back porch on sunday morning for eggs and toast and no boat. The coast guard said it is quite common to steal those things because they hire old people to make drug runs back to the states. They don't fit the profile.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just get insurance...

I am a live and let live sort of guy, so my answer is, "Whatever floats your boat!" :p

I do think insurance is a good idea, and I have it, but I resent the notion that I must pay to protect myself from thieves and losers.

Sure, I'll maintain insurance, AND sleep with my 45. :cool:

And now for something more uplifting and insurance related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33z_IoXE2GM

Blade_Link

Seaman

OK talk about bad timing....:eek:

I was reading this thread, so i go and check on my boat, some arsehole, broke my chain in three spots, TOOK OFF my motor(looks like they tried to run it):confused: and took my boat. TG they left my motor, it runs great, just need a pressurized tank to run the dang thing, but i still want my boat back theres fish out there with my name on them :mad::mad: