Storing Second Hand Engine Lying Down on its Side

loges17

Cadet
G'day

I bought an evinrude 90hp ocean-pro secondhand engine at the end of last year, didn't have a stand for it to be mounted on so had to rest it on the floor of a shed (on a sheet of wood) and its been that way ever since...do you think this will be an issue when I am ready to mount it on to my boat that I am restoring? Its in a friends shed and I haven't had a chance to check it...is it likely that it would have seized? A friend mentioned that I should have sprayed some fog and oil in the carbies through the spark plug mounts and turned the fly wheel....i didn't get a chance to do it, what do you think my chances of it being ok are?

Cheers

Loges

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Storing Second Hand Engine Lying Down on its Side

Do it now.

Also, if it has power trim/tilt you'll need to bleed the system.
Get a factory service manual .

www.outboardbooks.com

freddyray21

Commander

storing on it's side can allow for water to get in the powerhead. Not the most ideal situation.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yep probably going to be an issue. You should have put it on a stand in the run position. If it won't turn over pull a plug and then try to turn it over. Be careful you don't want to start it until your sure it will turn over.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, get it upright and put some oil the jugs and get the flywheel spinning. Then nail a board across a couple of uprights and hang it there for storage.

loges17

Cadet

cheers thanks for the tips, will try and get it up this weekend...