Are Trim Limit Senders Really Relevant?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
My Gen II is under construction right now, as many of you know. A couple months ago, I noticed my trim gauge stopped working. No big deal, I thought, to the trained ear, you can hear the audible difference when still trimming and when it has reached its limit. I noticed that one of the wires to the trim limit sender (starboard) was broken. Trim still worked fine, the gauge did not, which I am really not concerned about. Well, in the process of removing outdrive, the wires to the trim senders were so corroded they crumbled into many small pieces.

Now to my question: how relevant are they? Is this something I NEED to fix, or is it just for the gauge? I know I should fix it, but I would hate to shell out another $100, wait another week for them to come in, and then replace them before I can take my boat out. I noticed that it is easiest to replace them with outdrive off, but I was planning on putting outdrive back on tomorrow or Saturday, depending on how things go. All this beautiful 90 degree weather, and I can't even take my boat out. This is making me sick!!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Are Trim Limit Senders Really Relevant?

The trim limit is there for a reason. When set/operating correctly, It stops the out drive form trimming past the safe limit of the u-joints. Saving them from grenading (sp) when trimmed to far out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'll probably get flamed for this, but . . .

I agree . . . if your ear is good. I've been running without either (trim or limit) for two seasons. The biggest problem is anybody else that may run your boat. I use my eyes as well, and I just taught my 15yo both, who now has it down. Another trick is counting time for trim up and trim down, the hydraulics move pretty consistently . . . ;)

It is not right, and it is probably not safe, but still waaaaaay better than a direct drive inboard in that regard.

Edit: I was posting while LT was . . .

Ears and eyes for both trim and tilt. Example is my prop started to slightly blow one click from top of trim limit, and the wake bubbles slightly and is louder while idling at top of trim limit in gear.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I know about the possible damage to the u-joints. However, I am the only one who drives my boat, except for my fiancee and only when I am in the boat with her. After planing out, I can tell where the trim needs to be by looking at the wake.

Isn't trimming it all the way up past the safe limit of the u-joints? Or are you just referring to trim while under power?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Merc spec is no more than 1200 RPM when above trim limit. Most believe never while in gear. I run in more shallow conditions than that often, so I don't always have that luxury. I rarely exceed 700 RPM though up there.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Ok sounds feasible. However, I don't see how they work. Every single boat I have been in, no matter how fast you are going, you are able to trim the engine all the way up or down. Now, I don't do this on purpose, you just learn this through trial and error. Just like with any new boat, you play with the trim once on plane, and see what is the best level that does not allow porpoising.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am going to clarify a couple of things too as I feel the heat already. My nephew replaced my Gimbal ring with a Stainless one and I've had trouble ever since. This boat has been 250 miles from home, so I tuck her in and then uh . . . forget :rolleyes:

BTW, he is an incredible wrench, but the surfaces of the ring where the senders sit were not machined properly from Hill Marine out of the box. He wanted to get another ring, but I needed the boat. Memorial Weekend coming up, big group lined up, the whole schmeer. The gauge and limit worked for 45 seconds after we put her in the water the first time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Your handle should have either a "Trailer" button or a second detente on the trim switch. Those are for any levels above "trim" and are usually referred to as "tilt". If your limit switch doesn't work then you can exceed safe trim limit. I don't believe that you are doing that, it gets ugly fast at planing speeds :eek:

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I do have a trailer button, and I use it for precisely that. Now, I don't know if it is my 25 year old eyes going bad or what, but I have never noticed a difference in height when I "trim" all the way up or "trailer" all the way up. So do you miss that luxury, or gotten accustomed to living without it? I am not too worried about it I guess, I mean heck, the speedometer doesn't even work. As long as the tach and temp gauge work, I feel comfortable. I would say fuel gauge, but I always cap my tank off, and run for two days and still have gas to spare. I am not the one to stretch my fuel thin.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You need to go have somebody else play with both buttons while you watch . . . ;) Trailer is waaaay higher than trim limit. I don't live without that luxury. But I do need to operate in gear while above trim limit (1200 RPM thing). The luxury I was referring to was for those who say "never" and can "never" run there. At low river levels I have to use tilt to get into some small Marinas and some coves too.

In your case that "range" is accessed via your trailer button.

Oh, BTW, your trim limit switch is working ;) It's the only way your handle would work as you describe.

Bondo

Staff member

I agree . . . if your ear is good. I've been running without either (trim or limit) for two seasons.

Ayuh,... I put some fancy scamcy billet covers on mine where the switch/ sender goes about 10 years ago...
My helm switch looks like the signal light lever in a car, push it Up, prop up, pull back, prop down...

At speed,... Over-trimming is about Impossible,... Not without goin' for a 'ell of a ride...
At trolling speed or around the dock, It's knowing where you left it, or a couple steps back to Look...

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really comes down to the common sense thing doesn't it? My gauge is nonfunctional. My trim up doesn't work, but my trailer does. I use trailer for up. When i slip my boat, i usually come in no wake, so I trim it up until I hear some bubbles...enough to keep it out of the milfoil (haha). It's the same when I leave. This is all at around 900-1000 rpm. When I cruise, I go audibly down to the bottom, and then click up a few times.

When it's all said and done, you don't want to do this:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=307899

Last edited:

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I guess I am feeling a little more confident about it now. I mean, I never really used the trim gauge when it worked, as an experienced boater, you don't really need a gauge. So basically the only thing I need to do is make sure I don't trim it up to the point of hitting the bottom of the swim platform. Alright, so I guess I will do without them for a while. It pretty much sounds like they help out the more novice boater.