1986 Evinrude throttle linkage setup?

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been having troubles trying to get my E40ELCD to idle properly. Ive got it set up now and it idles nice but the linkages seem to me to be way outta wack. Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think. With this settup the idle is nice and the wot is good but as you can see the throttle and spark advance are way ahead of where they should be ( I think ) The spark advance is almost wide open and the fuel is probly half open.
PS I hope I posted the pics properly(first time tryin to upload pics to a forum)

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Evinrude throttle linkage setup?

For staters, it looks like your throttle cam roller .half of it anyway, is missing. what ever is left appears to be undersize. These have a habit of flaking away.Get a relacement. Yoke and thumbwheel look to be adjusted to far out.Do yourself a favor and get the OMC manual for this motor, and to a proper sync. & Link. Also wide open stop adjustment ,{middle left of bell crank] is turned all the way in. Get the manual it will show you how to set this up properly,it will be worth it.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Ive been debating on rippin the carbs open but not sure if its worth the time. Do you think a clogged low speed orffice could have this effect. I change all the fuel lines cause of some cracking. I later tore appart the primmer to find it was plugged. Its drinkin gas faster than I can drink beer. I ordered a manual but probly wont have it for a couple weeks.....Im itchen so bad.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Looking at your photos again, the yoke and thumbwheel is on upside down.[right side of pic connected to throttle cam]Yes, it wouldnt hurt to give the carbs a good cleaning. Get the kits from BRP, the last time I bought them they were 15.00 per carb.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0376-1.jpg

would this be what you are refering too as backwards?

Sorry if I missunderstand you, my "outboard" termaknowledgy is not quite at pro status.

I really apreciate the help.....Thank you

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, take out cotter pin and rotate black part 180 degrees. Make sure you get OMC manual, for the syncronization and linkage adjustments.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....
I have a manual but is not very good. I bought this one yesterday I hope its a good one. Probably gonna take a week or so to get it. This is the description the guy gave me. Is this the right manual I am looking for?

Evinrude Service Manual

This original factory OMC manual covers all the information necessary to repair, overhaul and troubleshoot this motor. Nice illustrations, exploded views and detailed instructions. Includes factory OMC binder!

Sections Covered:

General Service Information
Fuel System
Ignition System
Powerhead
Midsection
Lower Unit
Manual Starter
Electrical System
Remote Control
Power Trim/Tilt
This used manual is in good condition and contains 300+ pages.

Models Covered: All OMC (Johnson and Evinrude) outboard motors from 1986, 2, 4, 4 Deluxe, 5, 6, 8, 9.9, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, 90, 115, 120, 140, 150, 175, 185, 235 HP outboards

126c_1.jpg

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

This is an excellent manual, I wish I had this one . Mine only covers the 40 50hp models, let us know how thing work out.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Will do EN2

Thanks for the help.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Well Im just about ready to take the ol Rude out back and shoot er in the gas tank.
Im completely stummped now.
Cant get the thing to idle. I can get it to idle with the butterflies open about 1/8th open but as soon as I close em she dies. Ive rbuilt the carbs, primer, test the fuel pump and tried the Selco manual and omc manual setup for syncin, but she wont idle. I its is running now(kind of)but the linkages are way out from where they should be. It feels like it is starving for fuel but at the same time it seems like its flooding. Im getting idle speed at near 1/4 throttle. Im lost now and dont now what way to turn.
Any suggestions?

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

If you have good compression and spark, you may have to revisit the carbs. Check the Top Secret File click on carb cleaning.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Well Im sure its gotta be a fuel problem. I grabed the manual and started at page one again. Found my fuel pump is not working:eek:(again). Not sure why, I replaced it last week and assuming its good becase its new, I never tested it. Ran the test today and bingo. Brough it back to the dealer and hes going to get me another at no charge so ill let ya know how it works out in about 3 to 4 buissness days. Thanks again for the help.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

So much for that. Replaced the pump again, workin fine. Still the only way to get it to idle is to leave the warm up leaver up. I dont get it. The entire fuel system in new. I think thats it for me. Debating whether or not its worth takin into the shop. Thanks for the help guys.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Thinkin possible vacume leek.
How would I go about testing this?

Benjamin_14

Recruit
Ive been having troubles trying to get my E40ELCD to idle properly. Ive got it set up now and it idles nice but the linkages seem to me to be way outta wack. Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think. With this settup the idle is nice and the wot is good but as you can see the throttle and spark advance are way ahead of where they should be ( I think ) The spark advance is almost wide open and the fuel is probly half open.
PS I hope I posted the pics properly(first time tryin to upload pics to a forum)

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg
Does anyone know where to find these parts or part numbers?? Ive been through every place i can find online but i can only find the shift and throttle linkage for the tiller electric motors..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ben 14----Start a new thread on looking for help on how to find those parts.