1963 SuperSkeeter Deck Replacement

New_Era

Cadet
Will furnish pictures later but boat is 15 ft fiberglass. There are 3 stringers, one in center that runs length of boat and two that run from stern forward about 5 feet. These stringers protrude into the hull which leaves a flat inner hull. Stringers and transom appear solid. I plan to encapsulate plywood in fiberglass for the new deck. The new deck will rest on the inner hull. There were some remnants of foam present when I dug out the old rotted core (cedar fence boards laid cross ways the entire length of the boat) but certainly not enough for any flotation benefit. From a flotation standpoint I don't see how it can matter. From a structural standpoint will there be a problem with the deck (fiberglassed plywood) resting directly on the inner hull and fiberglassed to the side? Since I plan to use 2 sheets of 4/8 plywood how would I even get foam in place without drilling holes in the plywood?

I have read the many discussions about epoxy vs polyester resin in fiberglassing the plywood and still have that decision to make. I have found polyester resin locally but not epoxy so far. Would the polyester resin be suitable for attaching (fiberglassing) the new deck to the side (gunnel)?

Thanks for input.

Ron

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 SuperSkeeter Deck Replacement

Poly resin would be fine its cheaper than epoxy but dont bond as well.Foam is put in through the top by a hole cut in deck and sealed.I didnt replace it in mine its only a lake boat .I dont feel the need for it.It it was a large water boat Id put it in.

New_Era

Cadet
Re: 1963 SuperSkeeter Deck Replacement

Couple more ? Boat is 15' long and 48" at widest point.

Only Marine plywood I can find locally is 3/4". I plan to use csm and poly resin on botton of plywood and csm and layer of cloth on top with poly resin. Am a little concerned about the weight. Does 1/2" plywood sound better since deck will be resting flat on inner hull?

Also, when laying fiberglass do you lay csm and wait until dry before laying cloth or do you do both at the same time?

Thanks,

Ron