Johnson FD-16

Bo Russell

Cadet
Hi Everyone,
I just picked up a Johnson FD-16 ser# is 2159130 I am guessing 18 horse? from some info I found in here, It has spark on the bottom cylinder only, I need or should replace both coils?? If so any advice on where to get them and a part # would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Bob

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson FD-16

If you have to pull the flywheel to change one coil, spring for the 2nd and points and condensors. They are cheap insurance. You can get the parts here at Iboats. I have a few places near me that sell them, so I opicked my Sierra parts up locally. Peek through the flywheel cover, if the coils look chalky or cracked, they are shot. Rick

Bo Russell

Cadet

Thanks Rick,I can see one is cracked the other is blue but I think both is the way to go also. Better to do it right while its open than pull it apart six months later.Anyone know part #S

thanks again
Bob

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Go to laingsoutboards.com. They list parts by the HP and year. They use the Sierra #. Then either purchase them here or there. Rick

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always try to buy things here to support the folks who support this forum! :)

Try here:
iBoats Ignition Coils

They also have the tune up kits which include the points and condensors. They are cheap and a pain to get to, so I always replace them when I have to go in there.

Good luck!

Bo Russell

Cadet

Thanks Guys,
What is the hp on this? ser # is2159130 model FD-16.
Anyone know for sure? Two Cylinder.
Thanks,
Bob

Bo Russell

Cadet

:D Thanks Lindy 46!! great help on here as always..now time to get this thing running!

Bob