1987 Glastron Restore

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Glastron Restore

Here are some pic from the glass. I only cleaned the areas where the glass was going to be placed so it looks kinda bad. my main concern is the white spot in the resin.

8779.jpg

8780.jpg

8782.jpg

8783.jpg

redfury

Commander

You may be able to get some resin in there to shore the glass fibers up, but you'll have "resin rich" areas that won't be as tough. Glastron used the wood structurally equally as much as it did it as a form when they built mine, I'm assuming it was similar with yours. They wrapped mine with heavy CSM and called it a day, and they weren't real particular about making sure they didn't have any voids or resin rich areas...there are plenty of them.. I'll have to take some photos and post them in my grinding thread. It rained here most of the evening so I got stuck doing other chores.

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

Do I use a syringe and get some resin under there or what? I tried to move the stringers and they feel stronger than the factory. My main concern is the strength and water tight. What do you guys think move ahead or cut the bad sections out and replace it?

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like you are using 24 oz cloth. Mat looks different. Before you put down your glass throw a layer of resin down on all the mating surfaces then while still sticky put your glass down and make it stick then throw more resin on top of the glass. The glass should not be white at all if you are putting enough resin down the glass will turn clear. Also before putting any resin down clean the area with acetone it will help bond better.

Looks like yours is still pretty white. Pull up on the stringers to see how well it took. If it starts to break loose start over. Or if you only have just a little bit that you have glassed and your not a perfectionist the just glass the rest in better. Try to use more resin if needed to make it clear.

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

I didn?t have much time to work on the boat today but I din get in a pull around on the stringers. They are very strong. I am going to add a little resin to the white areas and call it good on those. I still have a couple of pieces to lay so I will put more resin down before the glass.

I am at decision making time.
1. Foam. I thing that I am just going to put foam in the bow and under the gas tank between the stringers.
2. I don?t think that I have a use for the ski locker so I was wondering if I should put it in or not. I think the floor will be stronger without it. What so you think?
3. Back seat. I am looking into adding a homemade bench seat. Keeping it simple so they will be easy to make here is my thoughts in MSpaint?..
8791.jpg

4. In the picture below I removed the small shelf and the seat bases to remove the floor. I am going to have two captain chair instead of the back to back therefore I am not going to have the seat bases. Also I am going to put a solid panel the entire length of the interior covered in vinyl. The question is did the seat bases and shelf have any structure purposes? it is har to see in the picture but there is a shelf between the seat and hull
8792.jpg

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice

I think I know what you mean for the shelf. It is along the side of the boat and is about 4 in tall maybe 3 in wide and runs from about 2 feet from the transom and it goes up to about the dash on both sides right? Looks like you have a little arrow there. Well if thats it I had one too in my boat and I ripped it out. It might have something to do with keeping the sides tied into the deck. I haven't got mine out on the water yet to see if that's what it's for. But what I'm doing is glassing in 2 2x4's on each side and to the floor then I have a nice spot to screw in my rod holders and it will keep the sides of the boat tied to the decking. I was going to glass the 2x4's higher but then I got to thinking that shelf was probly there for a reson.

If ya don't want to put the storage back in don't but it could be used for life jackets tackle anchors or that ever so needy case of beer. So just give it a thought cuz one day you just might say f#@k I should have put that in. I'm debating on making one but I just want to get r done and get r on the water so not sure what I'm gonna do.

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

I am in the same boat (no pun intended) that is a good Idea putting 2x4 along the deck to screw to. I am trying to keep the weight down as much as possible so I may just put a few blocks in. If you look on the transom there are a couple of blocks glassed in the corners.

I could just put a couple of folding fishing chair in the front and make some bases for those that would tie the whole thing together i just dont know how I would make them rotate i need to get back to the shopping list....

so Much for the memorial day deadline....the stripers dont start running until july so we will shoot for that date instead...

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

Ok seats. I have 500 in the budget for seats.

For the back seats I am just going to make a couple of rectangle cusions that is going to cost around 60 for the vinyl and padding.

This will put me at about 300

Front seats....Build bases and folding fishing chairs with locking swivel

73326_L1.jpg

37134_M1.jpg

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

Starting to get motivated on the boat project. I actually think it is all going to come together.

I went out and looked at the boat ant think the two seats in the front and bench in the back is really going to open the floorplan and make the boat more useable.

I was waiting to order the seats until I was ready for them just in case I didnt complete the project but I am ordering them today.....I have to get the floor in this weekend.

As far as the ski locker...I am going to build a rod rack so that I can use the space. who wants to give up free storage space??

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Where are you getting the seats from? I like the look!

-Bret

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice

Where are you getting the seats from? I like the look!

-Bret

Yea I like those I just got some cheap ones like $15 a piece at fleet farm last year. I figure I can replace then at any time. How much were they?

Yea I'm shooting for the memorial day weekend that's bass opener here in Minnesota. I gotta be out for bass opener I already missed walleye/pike opener.

All I really have left is carpet, gauge/stereo wiring, put the motor back on and paint. I figure I can paint anytime throughout the summer. Not sure if I can afford the carpet before opener so I might be out on the lake with out carpet ha ha.

redfury

Commander

That shelf, if like mine, may have to come out just so that you can secure the deck to the sides of the boat. Mine restricts my access to the sides of the boat to do it.

I don't think it matters a lot if they are there or not, but I think the extra glass on that part of the boat is a good thing as the sides of my glastron are rather flimsy...very thin glass as you reach the rub rail line.

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

Ive only had about an hour this weekend to work on the boat. I ran out of applicators for the resin so I decided to go ahead and cut the plywood for the floor. this was a motivator. The boat looks a lot different with a floor in it. Too bad I cant just glass it in they have to come back out to finish sealing up the stringers.
8795.jpg

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

I changed seat stylesf. i found some high back seats at bass pro fro 34 bucks they were 75. thought I couldnt go wrong with them.

redfury

Commander

Did you lower the floor, or was the floor like that originally?

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

Alright guys.....Seats are on the way and should be here tomorrow. I am going to pick up some oil based paint on my way home from work to paint everything under the deck and the uderside of the decking. This is not really required but I want to do all that I can to prevent ever having to do this again..

Once the seats come in I am going to start cutting out the seat bases and get everything ready for some glass.

I am thinking about using bedliner in all of the storage compartments to sut down on time trying to carpet them as they were to start with.

Picked up a couple yards of vinyl and re-upholstered the dash boards..

update you tomorrow

Merrymeeting

Seaman Apprentice

I am a little behind on updating the progress of the boat restore. I have taken the boat out a couple of times. I cant beleive how great it gets up on plane and how good it runs for the 400 bucks I paid for it.

In total I have about 2K invested including all of the interior, battery and rod holders. will post some pictures as soon as I get a connection.