Blackberry Storm Learning curve

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Wow do I feel like a novice. Upgraded the cell phones to the blackberry storm for bot me and the wife...... GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr what a learning curve it has been.

I'm actually sure the wife will master ti before me (it's not a race) because she has the time to play with it.

20 years ago I carried a "bag phone" and could make a call..... now this darn thing will do everything just about anywhere.

I keep wondering what my grandkids will have by time they are teenager's in another 12 years!! :eek: Probably a simple decoder ring!

i386

Captain
Re: Blackberry Storm Learning curve

We both have a Blackberry Curve. Love it! Finally a device that does everything I want it to and does it well. If y'all are like we were, you won't put them down for a week.:)

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Verizon sent me a storm the weekend before it was out. I got an early unit basically. It had some issues to say the least.

Best thing I did was an update. I suggest you do the same.

Click 'options' then 'Advanced options' and at the bottom of that list will be 'wireless upgrade'

Click that and follow the directions. Make sure its plugged in and start it at night because it could take more than an hour.

Their upgrade fixed 90% of the issues I had with the phone.

Good luck

Nandy

Commander

I started with the company provided 7290 which I still have. Just last week got a hold of a new Blackberry Bold. Love it but there a few things from the 7290 that I miss in this unit. Keep at it, you will get it!!!

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow do I feel like a novice. Upgraded the cell phones to the blackberry storm for bot me and the wife...... GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr what a learning curve it has been.

I'm actually sure the wife will master ti before me (it's not a race) because she has the time to play with it.

20 years ago I carried a "bag phone" and could make a call..... now this darn thing will do everything just about anywhere.

I keep wondering what my grandkids will have by time they are teenager's in another 12 years!! :eek: Probably a simple decoder ring!
The phones will probably be implanted in their heads by then. Just think about what number to call.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been using the Storm since it was released and other than firmware updates (I'm running a beta right now) the best thing I did was change some of the settings for the keyboard. Once I set the keyboard to be faster, it was able to keep up with my fingers and was much more usable.

If you haven't found it yet, check out www.crackberry.com. Just about anything you want or need for your Blackberry you can find there.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I've been using the Storm since it was released and other than firmware updates (I'm running a beta right now) the best thing I did was change some of the settings for the keyboard. Once I set the keyboard to be faster, it was able to keep up with my fingers and was much more usable.

If you haven't found it yet, check out www.crackberry.com. Just about anything you want or need for your Blackberry you can find there.

Oh the wife and I have been there....... ;) Yes crackberry good.

I guess the biggest frustration I have (or one of them) is the company that I work for will NOT allow us to check our email with a personal device...... :( I requested an exception to policy on that...... and my fat fingers typing!

i386

Captain

I guess the biggest frustration I have (or one of them) is the company that I work for will NOT allow us to check our email with a personal device...... :(

That's the Blackberry's forte. I don't think my Blackberry "experience" would be complete if I didn't get email on it.

My personal Gmail goes to it and all server notifications from work. I don't really need every work email going to it so I left that off.

The server notifications are nice (most of the time). I am notified of:
Backup Job Status
Servers going offline
RAID events, etc...

The hardware monitoring is pretty slick. I can stick my finger in one of the case fans and get a message in about 15 seconds saying "Fan #_ in Server Name: ___ droped below the established threshold of ___ RPMS. Just about everything in those boxes are monitored.

I need to know when something goes wrong before anyone else does!

Bob_VT

Staff member

That's the Blackberry's forte. I don't think my Blackberry "experience" would be complete if I didn't get email on it.

My personal Gmail goes to it and all server notifications from work. I don't really need every work email going to it so I left that off.

The server notifications are nice (most of the time). I am notified of:
Backup Job Status
Servers going offline
RAID events, etc...

The hardware monitoring is pretty slick. I can stick my finger in one of the case fans and get a message in about 15 seconds saying "Fan #_ in Server Name: ___ droped below the established threshold of ___ RPMS. Just about everything in those boxes are monitored.

I need to know when something goes wrong before anyone else does!

Well we we use microsoft web outlook and they would not permit it..... I re-configured the BB Browser and I can do it by the browser but it is a PITA but better than nothing.

Stick your finger in a fan :eek:..... you need some lower escelon workers and then you direct then to stick their finger in the fan!!! Co-workers are also good to check electrical sockets.:p

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got some new applications today. I buzzed through them and one stuck out.. Pandora internet radio ROCKS....

i386

Captain

Try Slacker radio too. slacker.com
I plug computer computer speakers into mine at work and listen sometimes. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I picked pandora over slacker because of the user ratings. Pandora had a half more star :D

I used my MP3 adapter and play it in my truck...

Nandy

Commander

Pandora is sweet!!! I'm using it right now while I post. I'm not even in an 3g area and it don't have much impact in browsing. Is slacker similar? I just hate to download it to just compare. Thanks!!!

i386

Captain

Is slacker similar? I just hate to download it to just compare. Thanks!!!

Just go to slacker.com on your computer and try it there first. It was there long before the blackberry app.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yup... the wife went with Pandora on her's......

Now I need to get my hands on a "corporate" blackberry and see if I can transfer the password for corporate access.

I am getting better and yes we have been playing with them all week!

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like Sudoku (sp?) but cannot find an app for my BB Storm. There is no reason that there isnt an endless list of apps for this phone by now.

Nandy

Commander

Hmmmm, liking slacker more and more... Thanks!