Help - I removed the shift pivot screw

mano

Cadet
:mad:

Ah, if only I had turned the page and read the little note, "CAUTION : Do not remove the shift pivot screw".

A 1990 Force 90 hp, and yes, I took the "wrong" drain plug out today...I'm so bummed out.

Of course I moved the shifter and the screw won't go back in, and I've been reading here it's not a good thing.

So...I don't have a shop manual, and I've never had the lower unit of an outboard apart before, although I am somewhat mechanically inclined (normally :rolleyes: )

Maybe it's a sign from the boating Gods it was time to change the impeller, and at least it's not Memorial day weekend....That's what I'm telling myself to stay sane!

Do I attempt this myself? Can anyone guide me? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it in to the shop, and if so, what am I looking at roughly cost wise, with gaskets, impeller, etc. I hate to put much money in this old motor, but it ran great up until this brilliant manuver.

I'm hoping someone can help make my bad day a little brighter. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:

mrwiggles2

Seaman
Re: Help - I removed the shift pivot screw

That is one thing I can safely say I read before I ever changed the LU oil, don't turn the shift pivot bolt!

I have a 70hp Chrysler that I just did a seal kit and water pump kit last week and I had never turned a wrench on an outboard before. I am a new boat owner. I was nervous a little but once I looked over the manual a number of times and most importantly, read this forum, it really wasn't hard. I took my time and worked on it a couple days, I had to have a new bearing pressed on. Once I got the drive shaft back from a local shop, I buttoned it up.

Took it out on the water today with my daughter, NO LEAKS!!! :D:D:D:D Once you get the LU off the motor, I have a vise in my basement, I was able to work at my leisure. One of those handyman workbench they sell might work great, as a vise really helps.

mano

Cadet

I stopped in to my local marine repair today and the guy made it sound like it would be a nightmare to fix....He said it could easily be a 6 hour job, and quoted me roughly $600 to repair it, "if all goes well"....that was with roughly $100 in parts.

He said there is a good chance the entire lower until will need to be disassembled and said the shift pivot screws are very tricky to do.

This is turning into one mighty expensive lube job.

I told him I might as well scrap it...It's got a lot of hours on it. He did say he could spend 1 hour tearing it down and see if we get lucky and then I could decide whether to procede.

Does this all sound about right?

Netjunky

Seaman Apprentice

I stopped in to my local marine repair today and the guy made it sound like it would be a nightmare to fix....He said it could easily be a 6 hour job, and quoted me roughly $600 to repair it, "if all goes well"....that was with roughly $100 in parts.

He said there is a good chance the entire lower until will need to be disassembled and said the shift pivot screws are very tricky to do.

This is turning into one mighty expensive lube job.

I told him I might as well scrap it...It's got a lot of hours on it. He did say he could spend 1 hour tearing it down and see if we get lucky and then I could decide whether to procede.

Does this all sound about right?

If it will cost that much and you have many hours on it why not try and repair it yourself? Get a manual and take a crapload of pictures of each step, replace the gaskets along the way. Then the mistake will not be for nothing, the gaskets probably need replacement anyways. Worse case scenario....you go ahead and get a whole replacement LU.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Lower unit is not that hard. You mechanic dude does not want to do it. If he serviced force motors he could probably do the entire thing in 90 minutes. Only parts he needs is a seal kit and that is probably around 40 bucks. Get a force manual by Clymer (library might have one you can sign out) buy a seal kit and a new impeller. If you have problems there are people here that will help.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seriously, don't be afraid to take it apart. You will feel much more comfortable operating and servicing this motor in the future. Just make sure you take mental notes and perhaps some digital pictures of bolts and seals as you disassemble it. Get a Clymer book and post questions here, a lot of guys here can take apart this motor blindfolded. I know Frank can do it in his sleep.

mano

Cadet

Thanks everyone...I thought 6+ hours seemed high, and this guy doesn't normally work on Force engines....plus I noticed his price on parts was about double what i can get them for, although that's pretty typical markup of dealerships on parts it seems. I may attempt it myself....but to be honest i have a bad back and hip and don't really need all the bending over, so I'm gonna see if I can find a more reasonable quote to repair it. I'd gladly pay someone a few hundred for my mistake, but $600+ is hard to swallow....and if not I will attempt it myself.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

I do have to say, this shift pivot screw is one screwy thing...You would think it would be labeled or at least sealed over with silicone since they have the fill and vent screws labeled and it is such a crucial piece....and to be honest i changed the gear lube twice with this pivot screw before....I just got lucky and didn't move anything in the past and never even knew I did wrong!

mano

Cadet

Just had to tell you all, I just called another boat shop, and after the mechanic stopping laughing, he quoted me $60 - $100 to repair it. Thats a whole lot better than $600+ my local guy quoted, and I'm dropping it off today!

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would NEVER talk to that first mechanic again! 6+ hrs? Give me a break! I just did it last week because I did the same thing, and I am no expert, and it took me two hrs. by my self. Just had someone help me place her back in.

You can do it, or even that second quote sounded pretty good, if you don't want to.

Good luck!

mano

Cadet

Thanks...Yeah, I'm done with the 1st mechanic.

I'm wondering now...2 years ago I took a Chaparral with a 4.3 liter into him for a new prop seal...Long story short the bill came to over $800 because he found some "bad" bearings and a pitted shaft.

I'm thinking now maybe I'm the one who got the shaft....without any lube.

I'm off to re-register my trailer and drop off the Force to mechanic # 2. For $100 labor it's not worth my back pain to try it myself.

Thanks everyone...I love this site!

Burton

Recruit

I just did the same thing on a 125 LU and was able to repair it myself. It was not fun and I would say well worth the $100 to have someone else do it. The tricky part on my 125 LU was that the piece that sits on the shift rod is not magnetic and you have to flip the entire LU over to get it out. I had to do it at least 30 times before I gave up for the night. Next day got it on the first try.

Ben

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I used one of those long grabber things to get mine back on. It was a little tricky.

mano

Cadet

$100 labor with the 2nd mechanic and he changed the impeller while he was at it, so it wasn't a total waste. I told him the other guy quoted me $600+ and he laughed.

I won't ever take another shift pivot screw out, that's for sure :D