Just had first child, is the boating season done? How did you do it?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife and I welcomed our first child on March 2. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience thus far.

With the weather warming up, I am getting the boating itch; PLUS, it doesn't help that we bought a new boat last September and haven't really spent much time on it yet.

Those of you that have kids, how did you get your boating in with youngsters? How young is too young to take out on the boat? (Just to float, obviously no jumping wakes or even skiing). The boat is just large enough to where I can't launch it by myself.

Any ideas?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Just had first child, is the boating season done? How did you do it?

I kept my boat in a slip, so launch and retrieval was not an issue.

No age is too young, as long as you put on lots of sunscreen and a lifejacket. Although, I will admit that infant life jackets still seem huge on little babies.
As far as actually boating, the baby will fall asleep as soon as you get up on plane. Just make sure that you take turns holding the baby while the other drives. My wife got tired of holding our son all the time... but wouldn't bother to drive the boat.

Another tip I have heard is take along your infant carrier car seat, and you can place the baby in there to free hands. But don't strap him/her in, cause you don't want them trap in it, should the boat overturn. That might be the place to have the baby while launching the boat?

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yay, I get to be the first..well on the site...CONGRATS!

Great question, we are trying to have a baby too, and I was worried that my new boat may have been a bad decision. But at worst, if you think about it, you could lay up the boat for a year, then when the kidlet is old enough to enjoy things take him out for a short little run and see how it goes. That's kinda how I figured it though.

Ian

nlain

Commander

This question has come up many times, the answers are anywhere from a couple weeks old to a couple months old, I take my grandkids out all the time, when I first started there was one, don't remember the age now but young, now there are two, I took the first out within the first year, at two we took him to Daytona to the July race, then the second one came along, they are boating, fishing and racing fans, so go for it. Life Jacket, Sunscreen, enjoy.

princessgal

Recruit

congrats on your new little one... how exciting!

My little guy was born in at the end of June, and we bought our 1st boat early August, and we started him then to boating life! He is almost 3 now and we have just upgraded our boat (will be here in a few weeks). His life seems to revolves around water and 'doat' as he calls it. When he was really young he would always fall asleep, which was really nice. Like the others posted... lots of sunscreen, hat, liquids, life jacket (he knows he is not even allowed on the dock unless he is wearing one).... and lots of fun! Just know as they get older, their schedules may be off a bit, but after awhile they jsut adapt and get back on track once the season starts.

The nice thing about starting young as you drill in the safety issues with them, and so far he has been wonderful.

So... just be safe and enjoy your family time together.

Happy Boating!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

The "grandboy" has been out on papas boat before he was a year old. As there were 4 of us, we decided not to use the car seat. I know others that do use it, but we could find anyway of adding flotation to the thing.

Sunscreen is a must as is a source of shade. Bimini, cabin, whatever, to keep the little guy out of the sun most of the time. Water will magnify the sun's rays, so sunburns can occur real quick. Liquids, food, and a diaper keeper are also needed items.

And oh, although we do not normally wear life jackets while on the boat (they are out and handy), whoever held the little guy had to wear a life jacket. We boat on a heavy traffic lake and didn't want to take too many chances should we be run over.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been told that my parents didn't take me out on the pontoon until I was three weeks old.:( , why they waited so long I don't know
after that I was always pushing to be out in boats:D:D:D:D
First it was a rowboat then the rowboat with the 7 1/2 johnson on the back ( my thumb still hurts when I think of pumping up the tank) and wanting to be out in a boat has never stopped.
maybe that's why I'm so tolerant of kids out in a small boat getting in the way, I remember doing the same thing, but that is how we learn.
a couple of weeks ago my niece, she'll be three in july, learned if she pushes the lever on the side of the boat forward we go faster:eek: first time she did it she looked at me with awe and amazement, the next time she did it she laughed and said "fast"
So it's never to early to start kids in boats

QC

Supreme Mariner

All three of ours were on board when they were infants. We spent more time on the beach then, but they also cruised with us all over heck and back. We would often pile up some towels etc. between the driver's and passenger seats. We'd even drape a towel over the seat backs to give the baby a little more shade than just the bimini. Ends up like a little sea going crib with the baby still in the life jacket of course. We could get in a two hour cruise when nobody had to hold the baby. Good for all that were along . . . ;)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Congrats Dante, we (I say we, but we all know the truth) just our first on March 4th. Like you, we are looking forward to the many "firsts".

We asked our pediatrician how soon, was too soon for camping and boating? He said going out on the 4th might have been pushing it, but now was as good as any.

As mentioned above the PFD, sunscreen, and a top on the boat are all musts. A couple other things to consider are insect repellant and core temperature. You child will cool off more rapidly than you do in the same water temp, so limit dunking time, especially early in the season. The other side of that is, don't forget to dunk, it gets hot inside that full body PFD.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still remember the dirty diapers tied up in a jewel plastic bag!!! Of course it was my job to clean up after we were done boating. Phew.........:eek:

Swim diapers a must.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As there were 4 of us, we decided not to use the car seat. I know others that do use it, but we could find anyway of adding flotation to the thing.

I absolutely would not think in terms of flotation on a car seat. The child should be in a PFD and not be confined in the seat at all - even with flotation, the thing probably would not float in a away that kept the child's face up.

My toddler has been going out in the boat with me since he was about two and a half. I didn't try before then because his mama doesn't go with me, so I have to be able to keep track of him. By that age, I was able to plant him between my legs or on my lap, while driving.

My biggest mental battle over the issue had to do with launching and retreiving. I finally opted to put him in the boat with his PFD on, because I was afraid to leave him in the car when tying the boat up or pulling it up onto the trailer with the winch. When doing this, I have the battery switch off and the key in my pocket, so he can't start the engine or turn anything on.

scipper77

Commander

Jay hits on a really good point. Boats are small and children have limited attention spans so you have to constantly engage your children or you will find that they will start throwing things over the side of the boat. My son at 1 1/2 years loves the boat. He likes being on the boat even more when it is in the water. He is now 2 1/2 and I can't wait to get him back out on the water!!

You have a newborn, so as long as the baby is fed, changed, out of the sun, and not to hot you are good to go.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, CONGRATS!

We've had our little one campin' since 3 months and boatin' since about 1 yr. We would've had him out sooner, but were without a boat. I only have two comments...

1 - When they are really little they can't support their heads at all...keep that in mind about the water conditions when you choose to go out, how you drive, and having the person holding the baby is ready for unexpected wake/waves.

2- If the boat is the boat in your sig is the current boat, it's not too big to launch by yourself. There are several excellent threads on this site re: launching by yourself, do a search. The way I/we launch is this...If my wife is with us, she takes our son to the side of the launch area, I launch solo, then they board after I've parked the truck. Retrieval is just the reverse. When I go without my wife, I leave my son strapped in his car seat while launching and retrieving.

Good luck and have fun! Kids are awesome!

-RW

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where there is a will there is a way. I launch my 24ft by my self. The grand kids have been out since they were born. Hell ya don't have any friends that would love to go out with ya??? Bring another couple to help ya have fun. As some of the others have said leave the little one in the car seat while launching and retrieving. They sleep a lot with all the noise and vibrations of the boat. We never had any problems. Again shade and sunscreen. We had a umbrella that had a clamp on the handle and it worked GREAT!! When we stooped to enjoy the water just clamp it onto something and keep the baby in the shade. When we went swimming we took the baby in the water with us. Now they are 10, 9, and 5. All love the water. Instead of ending the season>>>> ENJOY the season!!! Nothing is perfect. Sometimes it may be a short day, but a short day on the water is better than a day couped up in the house blaming your wonderful addition for not being on the water. Enjoy having the new addition to the fullest. There is nothing better than having the family together and having a great time. Enjoy it while ya can.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You will be just fine. Follow all the safety rules and have extra adult supervision if available.
Enjoy. !!!! you will love it and so will the baby when they grow up.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

As everyone else pointed out. Keep him out of the sun and cool

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We had our son on 9/9/2007 so he was still very young the following boating season. My wife was not comfortable taking him on the boat (he was an extremely fussy baby anyway so it probably wouldn't have gone well). I had normally been keeping my boat at my uncles cabin, which is close to an hour away, and using it on weekends. What I ended up doing was keeping my boat at home and using it on weekday evenings after work at a closer lake. My son still hasn't been out on my boat but I think that will be happening soon. I took him on a scenic railroad ride last weekend which he really enjoyed so I think he'll really like the boat and won't mind the noise or wind.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are a lot of great answers here about dealing with a newborn on your boat. But as wonderful as the newborn time is, it's pretty overwhelming too, and you and your wife both need some time to yourselves now and then. So maybe take the boat out with your friends once in awhile, and give your wife equal time to do whatever she wants with her friends while you take care of the baby. Or get a sitter and take a romantic 'lil cruise together.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

First off, CONGRATS!

When I go without my wife, I leave my son strapped in his car seat while launching and retrieving.

That would scare me to death. If something happens (brake failure, slippery ramp, etc.), you end up with a child strapped into a car seat in a vehicle that is submerged. Even if you were to get to him quickly, which you may not be able to do, you would be faced with having to open a door and undo the straps while underwater, all the while scared and fighting a child, who will be flailing about try to get himself loose.

I'm not trying to be "the all knowing boater," but please reconsider this!

This is a difficult circumstance, because it seems that none of the solutions are perfect. I do worry somehwat about having my child in the boat while backing down or retrieving, but its the best thing that I can come up with. I only have him there for a short period (he's right by my side, PFD on, at all other times near the water) and is in something that will float if there is a problem.

All of this said, my favorite circumstance is when there is someone that I know and/or trust at the ramp. In that case, I simply ask them to hold his hand on the dock for a minute. I have put more than one Ranger or Police Officer "to work" doing this!