key switch smokes when push to choke

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just bought a '98 tracker w/ a '98 90hp merc. was cleaning it up and such today and fired it up on the muffs. had to choke it a good bit to get it started and keep it started. then smelled and saw smoke coming from under the console (smelled like burning plastic). the smoke was coming from the key/ignition switch. started the motor back up and crawled under the console and it seemed like the smoke came out when I pushed the choke in. once the motor warmed up and ran without having to choke it, it didnt smoke again after leaving it running. I took the boat out a week or so ago and did not experience this problem. today however I did hose the carpet down on the interior of the boat but I was careful to let as little water as possible get into any of the wiring but with spray and splash some (but not much) did. could the smoking be due to water getting in the switch? or could there be another cause? the switch is on the console (not the controls). thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: key switch smokes when push to choke

You probably got water where it should not have gone and caused a "SHORT".

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seems logical...any other possibilities?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

A bad enrichner or the wire going from the switch to it shorted. Also make sure the ground wire on the enrichner is good.