95 Evinrude 115 no fire...New Discovery

kdmiller1

Cadet
Have 1995 evinrude 115. Running at 3500 rpm and the motor lost power, still idled for about 5 seconds. Started back up for 2 or 3 seconds and stalled twice and now has no fire. Doesn't sound like the safety switch but not sure. Any suggestions.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 95 Evinrude 115 no fire

Did it stumble than stall or was it like the key switch was turned off?

kdmiller1

Cadet

Stumbled, It felt like I ran through some weeds, but the prop was clean.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you pull spark plugs and check for spark. Also when the motor quite, was the primer bulb hard or soft.

kdmiller1

Cadet

I pulled each plug and nave no spark anywhere. The primer bulb seemed a little soft. Thanks for your help.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Normally when there is an ignition problem the motor doesn't slowly power down. Especially when it is affecting all four cylinders. It will act as if it was simply shut off.This system has an optical sensor for a trigger. It is more complex than the older ignition systems and is more complicated to diagnose without some specialized equipment. Just out of curiuosity, did you check the tether connection at the control box and make sure that it is connected properly as if it is loose it may cause what you are experiencing.

kdmiller1

Cadet

I did check the tether connection. Took the tether off and pushed the safety button in. Still made no difference. It seemed like a fuel problem when it stopped running. I did find the a wire running to what i think is a temperature sensor melted down on one side to bare metal. It is a wire running into the head between the spark plugs, one on each side. But i have no alarms sounding and the wire seems to be in tact.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More than one problem here as the melted wire indicates an overheat and chances are that it has melted other wires on the powerhead causing the ignition to ground out. It would be worth your while to take it to a sevice shop and have them check the motor over. At he very least get them to check the water pump and do a compression check. Hope this helps.

kdmiller1

Cadet

This wire was pinched on a sharp corner of the head. Looks like it's been there a while. What is the best way to test the safety switch.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wire tha you are describing is the temp sender. Is it melted or pinched. If it is melted than as described earlier and if it is pinched than it will not create the running problem that you are experiencing and the alarm should be going off. Need more info.

kdmiller1

Cadet

The wire was pinched against the head under the cover. The outer casing is gone down to bare metal against the head. It is shiny leading me to believe it got hot instead of an abrasive rub. Maybe both. Again, thanks for your time.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agian, if it did get hot than have a good look over the powerhead and check for anymore problem wiring and any discoloured paint on the block. If not than there is more to the problem than what we have covered. Hope this helps.

kdmiller1

Cadet

I think i'll take a fresh look in the morning. Thank you again for all your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

unplug the big red wiring harness at the motor and just the starter solenoid.

kdmiller1

Cadet

GO GATORS..... I want to make sure I understand before proceeding. Unplug the big red wiring plug and jump the selenoid out to see if i have spark. Is this the best way to check my safety switch. I'm still holding out hope that this is a loose wire, bad switch or something simple. It lost power but idled for a short period, started 2 more times but stalled within a few seconds. Now nothing. Thanks!!

kdmiller1

Cadet

Where is the yellow/black kill wire on the pack. My kill switch is in the dash with wires going to the ignition switch. Disconnected the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier, still no spark. Checked the stator resistance, reading 1000 ohms from the brown to the brown/yellow wires which is good and 57 ohms from the orange to the orange/black. The page says it should be approx. 100 ohms.

kdmiller1

Cadet
Re: 95 Evinrude 115 no fire, New discovery!!!!

Re: 95 Evinrude 115 no fire, New discovery!!!!

new information.... my Buddy stopped by and i showed him how my thermostat wire was hitting my block and melted.. When i touched it to the block a puff of smoke came from the front of the motor. I think it's the fuel pump, not sure. It has a circuit board visible from the front and there is a hole melted in the front of it. Would this cause me not to have spark.... and fuel. Thanks

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 95 Evinrude 115 no fire...New Discovery

Yes it is the fuel pump that you are describing. It has a warning module that sounds the no oil ararm when it is not triggered by the pumps operation. It also has a tach signal going to it. Not normal for this module to melt out like that. Have the battery cables ever been crossed?

As mentioned before, there it more to the problem than a no spark issue. Maybe the rectifier/regulator has melted out causing the vro module to be taken out as well. Better to have someone look at it for cooling operation, short or shorts in wiring on powerhead or in the boat harness, and a compression check wouldn't be a bad idea either. Good luck!