through hull exaust

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got this boat and noticed the through hull exaust tips are sealed with plumbers putty. In another post it was sugested to get the correct gaskets.

- Are the tips just attached to the transum or are they attached to the pipes as well?

- What are the gaskets made of? Can I make them my self?

- There seems to be a bit of distance from the flange to the transum stuffed with putty. How thick are the gaskets that should go there. Can thoes flanges sit flat on the transum? so I can get rid of that scummmm.

- The exaust from the inside seems to be packed with somthing ( havent had a chance to dig at it with anything yet) Is there a gasket system for the inside?

I want to start to clean up the finish on this boat so any help would be great.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: through hull exaust

The gaskets are silicone sometimes rubber but they dont last as long, yes, they attach to the rubber hoses comming off the engine, they are usually about 5-6 inches long, 2 inches thru the transom and 3-4 to clamp the exhaust hose to. Most people fill the holes with a sealant like 4200. you dont want any water to get past the outside flanges. Last, the flange should sit on the transom, there shouldn't be a gap. I'll bet youll have to remove the goop, and redo the install-no big deal 2 hr job. Good Luck!

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh my, that installation looks terrible :eek:

You need to take all that crap off along with the tips and see what you have. My WAG is that the holes for the thru hull pipes are too large and what you have is someone's lame attempt at a fix.

While were discussing lame fixes...​

I noticed in your picture that there are what appears to be plugs on the top side of your gimbal housing. Do you know if these were installed during a repair to the gimbal ring?​

Also, what is the red sealant along the transom assembly for the drive?​

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info.

Yeah the holes could be too big.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I will have to pull it all appart. As far as the red stuff around the assembly . I am not sure. I guess it is sealient. I asked the machanic about the leg and he said new bellows new impeller new oil it all should work well. I asked him about the trim limiter based on a suggestion here and he said he wasnt sure and then said he wasnt sure if they ever worked. I personnaly dont even know where they are.

The women I bought this from; her husband died two years ago and I think he did things quickly at times just to get it in the water. Like cutting out a large section of plywood behind the back seat to get access to the front of the engine. It seems he wasnt to worried about how things looked. I on the other hand want it to look good.

There is a lot of sealent around the exaust hoses in the engine bay. I bet nothing leaks but it sure looks bad.

So the bolts that hold the tips on go right through the transum to the other side? I ask this because I see a rusted steel one that was used. I would want all stainless for thoes.

So If I understand correctly the tips get sealed to the transum where the exaust pipes sit in with flappers and the rubber hoses are sealed to the tips to hold the cooling water thus cooling the exaust pipes? I am tring to get an understanding before I start to rip apart.

Is 4200 the stuff you get in a hardware store? Can someone tell me more about this stuff?

Thanks

!cid_C1C388188A1D42CFB634CF7A2EA05E17@RichardBook.jpg

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are bellows and what do they do? One reason I ask is the machanic said he kept the leg in the down position while stored as to be easier on the bellows. I have heard aboujt these things for years just want to know what they are.

Thanks

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

The bellows tube is basically what keeps the drive shaft dry. Without it the whole mess would be open to corrosion and water intrusion.
Keeping the leg ( drive unit ) in the down position lessens the strain on that rubber piece, which also will cause premature failure. When you purchase a new bellows kit they are straight with no kinks or bends. Just better to leave them as they come from the factory when stored. :D