Newbie with a question.

raven174us

Seaman
Well where do I start. I am new to boating and have been doing a ton of research about boats. i ran across this forum and found a lot of info on here. I recently found a 79 Chrylser Stryker (I think thats what he said) for $400. The boat seems to be in good shape besides the transom. I don't mind the work. It will be a project for me and my son. I was wondering if that is a good buy. (I sure hope so cause I'm picking it up tomorrow :redface:) The motor runs and he had it in the water last summer. I'm hoping to make this a decent boat for a first timer to get my feet wet as a boater. I have a lot to learn about boats and boating in general. So please forgive me if I misuse terms. I'm still trying to find a site that will help me with the terminology.
04-22-09_0815.jpg

04-22-09_0813.jpg

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie with a question.

Go for it. Looks like a decent trailer, nice old Merc. Whats the HP?

As for a water test.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loooks like a nice boat for the price

raven174us

Seaman

Its a 65 hp motor. I'm not sure of the year though. I plan on blasting and re-painting the trailer. First thing though is fixing the transom. I love all the info on here. It makes things much easier.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a pretty big crack in that transom! But I'm sure it can be fixed up without too much trouble... The boat looks great, especially for that price... I'd definately give it a thumbs up!

As for terminology, you'll certainly pick it up around these forums... www.boat-ed.com will help you not only learn all the major things like sound signals, etc, but will also help with terms as well... I think wikipedia also has a "directory" of nautical terms somewhere too....

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you turn the wrap around cowling right side up. Good deal.

OLEGAR

Recruit

Make sure you turn the wrap around cowling right side up. Good deal.
YEAH = = I thought my screen had gone haywire :confused: - -
Newbies gotta start somewhere so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Now for the "sticky" part--------- Old motors, old boats and old trailers require lots more tinkering than new stuff. That is why they are lots cheaper. If you have limited time to "play" then the newer the boat / motor the less time working and more time playing.

Your project ( call it like it is) will take some major tlc but there is one thing (very important words here) "MAKE SURE THAT TRANSOM IS "SOUND" BEFORE YOU GO OUT ON THE WATER" ! !

There have been boaters who ended up all wet and with sunken equipment by "transom failure". That "crack" is obvious structural failure but the hidden part is where you may find more dangerous weakness, Most boats use fiber glass covered wood there and any fractures that lets water get in can cause the dreaded "DRY ROT" both in the aft floor and lower transom area. check it out thoroughly . . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your transom questions will be answered in the restoration forum. your engine questions in the merc outboard forum.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Raven For $400 you didn't get hurt. Great find. Good luck with the repairs, restoration and future boating. Welcome to iboats. This is the place where all smart Boaters congregate to share their wealth of knowledge and experience.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, $400 isn't bad, if it turns out you can't save it you should be able to rcoupe most of that.

Tear into it and see exactly what it will take to bring back then decide if you want to, and can afford to, save it, I believe the sweet smell(NOT) of fiberglass is in your immediate future.

But I wouldn't spend any more money on it till you know exactly what you need to do to bring it back.

As OLEGAR said, don't jump the gun and take it out before you fix the transom or your boat ownership experiance could be short lived.

Take an ice pick or screw driver and start poking around under the deck inside the hull and see what it goes through but I would imagine you have to do a total rebuild, stringers and transom, which of coarse means you have to split the hull.

Alot of work but it can be done.

Good luck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Give it a really thorough inspection and cost it out before starting any renovation work. A lot of folk end up quitting half way through.
Worse case scenario is to part out anything worthwhile and dump the rest. Judging by the photos you should make out on the + side of your investment.
Good Luck and keep us all posted.

bigred69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go for it. I got into boating heavy last year and now I have three boats. Their is a lot of help on this forum. So good luck.

raven174us

Seaman

Wow, I'm amazed by the amount of responses. Thank you. My intentions is to have this as a project. I took on building custom motorcycles for 6 years from the ground up. The problem with that was my wife and son were fighting over who was going to go riding on each weekend. lol So a boat is going to solve that. Both my wife and son want to take on a project for the family to work on together. So rebuilding is not a problem. Now I just need to learn how to use fiberglass. :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow, I'm amazed by the amount of responses. Thank you. My intentions is to have this as a project. I took on building custom motorcycles for 6 years from the ground up. The problem with that was my wife and son were fighting over who was going to go riding on each weekend. lol So a boat is going to solve that. Both my wife and son want to take on a project for the family to work on together. So rebuilding is not a problem. Now I just need to learn how to use fiberglass. :D

Lot of help with fiberglass in the renovation section. Good Luck with the project.

special_kaye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well where do I start.

I'm doing a transom repair right now and actually enjoying it. But, I've been told I'm a bit twisted anyway. Have fun with it and make it what YOU want. THAT is one advantage built into repair work you need to do.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Originally Posted by raven174us
Well where do I start.

Get a set of Muffs and get the engine running at home before starting any repairs on the boat. Check the steering linkage. Then you will have to take the motor off the boat. At least then you know the motor and steering are ok before starting any major work on the boat. Build a strong stand to put the motor on in the run position before you take the motor off the transom.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

looks like it doesn't have a steering cable in the tube or a linkage arm?
Is it cable/pulley or uflex type system?

transom will cost around $250 with plywood and glass. Probably use polyester but maybe epoxy? There is an ongoing argument on what type of plywood to use. I would use pressure treated but many disagree. Or maybe a pourable transom...

Get earmuffs and run the motor, don't rev it up on the muffs it just to idle.

Then look into the floor... and steering system, looks to be none existent.
Matt

raven174us

Seaman

I went through it all before bringing it home. He had put a new floor in it and it seems pretty solid. It does have a steering system. I'll take pics later, cause I have no clue what the difference is. The motor sounds good. My son can't wait for he and I to tear into it but I want to do more research before starting on it. I pay start on it next week. Thanks everyone!

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

you know you have to take us some pictures rite? :D
Matt

raven174us

Seaman

Ok I took a couple of pics to show the steering system and a little better pic of the transom. We are just going to do some cleaning on it today. I'm taking the seats out and getting all the pollen out. Maybe fix some minor details. Its in the upper 80's here today and feels like its in the upper 90's. Its just about too hot to be working outside. :cool:
04-25-09_1240.jpg

04-25-09_1244.jpg