cooling of V4 120hp

scatman

Cadet
I have a 1991 johnson 120hp v4 motor on a boat I just got . I started it up for the first time( for me) and the water flow out of the outlet bolow the motor was a weak stream but water flowed from the prop with the exaust, is this normal or should the stream above the waterline be stonger?

iwombat

Captain
Re: cooling of V4 120hp

Water out the tell-tale should be very strong. You might just have a clog though. Run some weed-whacker line up it and see if that helps some.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The hose and cowl fitting on the V4 90 degree loopers was large compared to the crossflow, so when they are not running fast, the flow of water will seem light. It should be constant but not heavy.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My Johnson 140hp looper does not have the strongest of streams and never has since I got it. The head temps are good when checked with the thermal gun thingy though and I get a lot out of the overflow half way up the shaft. I have used the weed whacker line and a little compressed air but it remains the same. The stream is constant but weak at lower rpm. Looking at the cowl fitting it is a larger bore than other motors that I have looked at.
Check your head temperatures to be certain though. (that is why I did it)