Starter quik question

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice
92 Force 70hp. When I first start it up, it spins fine (8-10 sec), but when its warmed up I can only get about 1 second of starter engagement before the starter drive gets throw back down still spinning. So to start it I have to use 3 or 4 quick wrist motions (no pun) of the key switch to get it to start, sometimes reengaging the starter before the flywheel even stops spinning. So thinking the drive was bad went and shelled out another 50. put it on and same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter quik question

Clean and tighten all cable connections.
Clean out the soot and re assemble the starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do all the above mentioned.Then get a new starter.I always have a back-up.
Good luck.J

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think I described my problem accurately. The starter spins like a champ while starting the motor, but with the least little attempt of the motor to start it throws the starter drive out as if the engine started. If I hold the key it still spin but the drive is sitting back down against the starter, not engaged in the flywheel. So it it throwing the drive out prematurely so I must use 3-5 short start attempts instead of the usual long spin you would normally get if the drive stayed engaged till she started. How does that sound? Again, thank you.

john from md

Commander

The bendix is spinning out of engagement.

This happens usually if 1) the teeth are out of alignment with the flywheel, 2) the teeth are worn 3) the starter shaft has too much play or is bent.

1) Check that your starter bolts are tight.
2) Check that you have full engagement of the bendix gear with the flywheel. Sometimes the nut on top is not staked and moves allowing the bendix gear to drop down.
3) Check to see if you have excessive wear on the Bendix gear or flywheel.

If none of that gets results, using a bump starter switch (sears $17) bump the starter and watch the bendix as it turns. Does it look like it is wobbly?
Watch space between the top bearing on the bendix and the flywheel. As it
is spinning, see if it looks like the space is opening and closing. If so, either the bendix is worn or your shaft has too much slop.

Starters can be found on ebay for $75 to $100. A new bendix runs about $25.

John

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice

Starter bolts are tight, as I just installed a new bendix, but the new unit drops out to quick exactly like the older unit. Minimal wear on the flywheel teeth. I do have full engagement but it does look like it flutters from the fully up position and drops down maybe 1/4" and back up many times during cranking as the flywheel spins round. Starter shaft is tight,new bendix has some play .020 maybe.

john from md

Commander

Cap,

I am sending my new starter back for an exchange because it is doing the same thing.

In my case, I indicated the shaft under the bendix and it was .060 off. Additionally, the bendix had about .020 or so slop on its gear. Mine would sometimes stay up and other times spin right out. My voltage drop was only 11volts so the starter is spinning stront.

Maybe they have a bunch of bad bendixes out there. Did you buy yours from ebay?

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice

No I got it from the stealership for $52. I will have to take a closer look at it cause I am introducing my 15yo daughter to boating, she passed her test last week with one wrong (proud papa). With my engine loading up problem at slow speed in the other post this makes for interesting docking for a beginning mariner at the ramp with all the professionals watching. Its all fun though. She gets a kick outta watching all the stupid mishaps of others at the ramp while we are smoooth as butter. I am somewhat of a machinist by hobby, maybe I can make a bushing or something. Thanks for all your insight.

john from md

Commander

That's not a bad idea. You can probably turn a hat bushing that will take the slop out of the bendix.

Hopefully, the replacement they send me will work without any tinkering.

Good luck,

John

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Do the simple thing first and check and clean all the plugs. When cold, you are starting in fast idle and rich and the engine fires on all cylinders.

When warm, you are probably trying to start in neutral. Only one or two plugs fire and the flywheel kicks the bendix down because the engine tried to start but as soon as the fouled plug(s) does not fire, the engine stalls. The starter will continue to spin because the inertia of the bendix is what causes the bendix to ride up the shaft. If the bendix is spinning freely, it will not ride up the helix on the shaft. The starter will re-engage if you release and reapply the key.

The ignition acts very much like a magneto ignition and weakest spark is delivered at cranking speed. These engines are prone to fouling plugs and the first indication is usually a starting problem in neutral.

Bet that once you get it started it runs well, right?

If you still have problems, check the compression ratio.