Port Engine won't start

jhisey

Recruit
The other day, the port engine would not start. When I turn the key once, the guages move but no sounds (usually I get some beeps). Turn once more and nothing. When I turn the starboard key once, the guages move and I get the beeps. Turn it once more and engine starts.

I pulled the switch panel off and did some electrical testing (I attached a picture too). Each switch has 3 wires. With key in neutral position, 2 wires complete a circuit w/ 13 volts (in picture, A-B and D-E). When I turn the starboard switch one click, the third wire kicks in and it now completes the circuit w/ 13 volts (in picture, D-F). When I do the same on the port switch, the 3rd wire never gets any voltage (in picture, A-C). Hoping it may simply be the switch, I moved the port wires (ABC) to the starboard switch (position DEF, respectively) but same thing happens. This tells me the switch is fine but there's a problem (loose wire or something?) down the line. I opened the engine compartment and scoured for loose connections but I have no idea what I'm looking at and all the connections I found I made sure were ok.

It also doesn't matter if the battery switch is set on 1, 2, or ALL; starboard works great, port - nothing. I also let them charge for a few hours in a slip, no difference.

Any suggestions? Or know of any good boat mechanics in the St. Pete / Tiera Verde, FL area?

Attachments

• regal_2860_switches.jpg
    regal_2860_switches.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

aggierichie

Recruit
Re: Port Engine won't start

Check the starter leads on the port engine. because the starter is low on teh block it is suceptable to corrosion and if one of those leads are off the whole thing will not work. If you are looking at the motor it should be on the bottom left side.

jhisey

Recruit
Re: Port Engine won't start

Just fixed it yesterday. Apparently, the ground "stud" behind the engine came loose. That whole ground assembly just needed tightened up and everything is great now!