help with too much tongue weight

stoney4619

Recruit
I have a 16ft landau with a 25hp 4 stroke motor and recently had a hitch rated at 3500 lbs installed on a 1997 toyota avalon xle. the car seems to pull the boat without any issues but it takes 2 men to lift the boat off the hitch ball and the tongue sits so low that the retractable front wheel that the boat will rest on when unhitched doesn't have enough clearance to reach the pavement so we have to lift the tongue manually up in air to disengage the wheel and place it down. i've considered replacing the wheel with a pad to lessen the overall length but it bothers me that the tongue is that heavy. can the boat be repositioned on trailer so that it extends toward the back more or is there an easier solution. thanks much!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: help with too much tongue weight

can the boat be repositioned on trailer so that it extends toward the back more or is there an easier solution.

Ayuh,... Anything is Possible,.... Got a Picture or 2,..?? Boat trailers are usually Very adjustable....

Moody Blue

Captain

In contemplating moving the boat rearwards on the trailer, keep in mind that you always want the transom supported and not overhanging any supports.

Is it possible to move the axle forward? Some rigs are easy to modify, other not so.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

also keep in mind that you want 10-15% of the total loaded weight of the trailer on the tongue or you will find that you have a whole new set of problems.

blousteau

Seaman Apprentice

Your boat trailer may be setup correctly. Cars of today are not like cars of yesterday. They are lower to the ground to help with wind resistance. Their suspension is also not as heavy as older cars were. That car is not designed to tow, the brakes are insufficient and the transmission is not going to last long with the added strain. The rear suspension on those is super soft, you can really feel the back end squat down when you hit the gas hard. We noticed any weight in the trunk or back seat on my moms lowered the back significatly. The only towing option on the newer ones installable by Toyota is a "towing package" (just a hitch, and light plug) for a maximum trailer weight of 1000 lbs. Take the trailer to be weighed. If you are over 1000 lbs. you are endangering yourself and others on the road. Most cars are designed with a GCWR of luggage and the passengers on board. A single cab 4 cyl, tacoma would be safer to tow that boat with. Hate to be a buzz kill, but you need a truck or suv.

bassman284

Commander

Picture and boat weight would help, but my feeling is that anything that can be moved with a 25 hp motor shouldn't take two men to lift the tongue.

ebry710

Ensign

That is too much tongue weight.

But why don't you buy another hitch receiver to raise the hitch high enough to use your tongue jack?

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, something ain't kosher bill....

My 14' fiberglassic with 50horse motor, and hull full of water (stormed last night) is quite easy to lift solo...I'm 6'2" and 165lbs...so no powerlifter by any means! Seems there's a balance issue there....what is the actual weight of your boat? Also that car is NOT intended for towing much of anything. Pulling that boat out of the water is not going to be easy if the ramp is even a bit slippery...let alone the stoppage issue. Be careful...that said my neighbor pulls his boat with a volkswasen jetta diesel..I think it's a 16' Peterborough.

Ian

Shizzy

Ensign

Just because your new hitch is rated at 3500lbs doesnt mean your car is capable of towing that much. in fact a quick search says your car is only able to pull a 2000lb load.

again, how much does the boat and trailer weigh?

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Send some pics of the rig. It shouldn't have that kind of weight on the tongue. Is the transom of the boat sitting forward of the back of the trailer?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Photos would help a great deal.
Sounds like my ex mother in law is sitting on the bow !!!

jonesg

Admiral

If the boat is moved back, the transom needs support and the winch post will need moving with it too.

I find it easier to move the axle , except you have to get the boat off first.