EVERY boater should do this!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: EVERY boater should do this!

OK. When I hear of another cleanup in this area I'll post it here.
Thanks!

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

We do the same thing on Lake Hartwell In May. I usually get my son's scout troup to help and they get Merit Badge credit!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Terrific job. You're a shining example of a good American Citizen!!! If everyone had this mindset, we'd live in a much nicer society. I understand you're not looking for accolades, but, sorry... My hats still off to ya!!!:D

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you seen many kids at the cleanup? I checked the website and they have a shirt sizes for youth, but I can't imagine how much help they would be dragging trash out of the water into a boat. Do I need to bring a boat or can I be of assistance on someone else's?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Sure, they've had pre-teen volunteers (with parents). The vast majority of the trash is lightweight- plastic bottles, foam cups, soda cans. Small groups walk the shoreline and fill up trash bags. When the bags are full, they're left at access points for boats to pickup and take to the ramp. The kids tend to be VERY enthusiastic- as long as they don't mind getting wet and dirty.

As far as the boats, they always need more but have had trouble getting them for the cleanup effort because of the risk of damage. Also, the boats hauling trash get pretty filthy- I usually spend a few hours hosing down the Jonboat after this. Bill, IMO your 23 footer is way too nice for this duty but If you have an appropriate boat to bring, by all means they will utilize it.
By the way, for this event they allow free use of the launch ramp. And for the first time, official permission has been granted for the volunteers to tour Garrett Island after the cleanup.
Hope to see you there.