Force Rectifier On the Cheap - less than $3.00 total cost - Video Demonstration

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force Rectifier On the Cheap - less than $3.00 total cost - Video Demonstration

By the way, I'm waiting for universal voltage regulator to arrive as suggested by "john from md" in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252684.

The voltage regulator performs similar function as rectifier does, except it limits maximum output voltage to 14.4 V dc. This helps prevent battery overcharging and stabilizes DC voltage for auxiliary devices such as GPS recivers, fish finders, lights, etc.

JTRUSH

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force Rectifier On the Cheap - less than $3.00 total cost - Video Demonstration

Do you have a picture or diagram of how to wire up?

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here you go.

-DC output connects to the ground.
+DC output connects to red wire
~AC Both AC terminals are connected to yellow wires, no polarity.

Attachments

• Force_Rectifier_wiring.jpg
    Force_Rectifier_wiring.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before I finally installed a voltage regulator on my Force, I also used the rectifiers from Radio Shack. However, the rectifiers I decided to use were their rectifiers rated @ 25 amps. Only a dollar or two more if I remember correctly. That said, I did end up having to purchase 3 of them before I found one that performed correctly with my particular system. As soon as I found out how much money the boat suppliers were asking for a rectifier I was certain that the price also included vasoline to help with the installation. Nope...that would be an additional 5 bucks and they'd be quite happy to install it for free. :eek:

RRitt

Captain

The square bridge rectifier is an industry standard. The size of the case, internal wiring, and connector pin-out are controlled by international standards. That said, you can find higher amperage rectifiers from mouser electronics ( www.mouser.com )

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one I'm using in this video is a 25 Amp bridge rectifier.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Very good stuff Grindkore, well done. I will be troubleshooting my rectifier on the identical engine (90'/90hp) in order to see why my tach isn't working (no tach signal..previous post from last week), so this will be very valuable reference info.
Again, nicely done.;)
BP:)

JTRUSH

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the diagram!
I have a 1990 force 120..would i need a higher amp?

sixredfish

Recruit

I think its a great idea. I have a Force 70 that has not been charging the batteries. But the rectifier on my series motor uses frame ground with a sep line for the tach. In the diagram I did not see which line the tach was getting it's signal from ?? I was wondering if it was still compatible with a 92 Force 70.
It does use a Quicksilver Recifier, but very similar wiring ? Any thoughts

RRitt

Captain

I don't think tach and rectifier should have any bearing upon each other. if your rectifier has a post for tach connection then it is most likely nothing more than a feedthru connection from AC input. have you checked wiring diagrams?

yfz450guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hook the tach wire to one of the ac voltage posts on the rectifier.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even though it is hooked up feed thru with the purple wire, a bad rectifier WILL cause tachometer problems.

However, GrindKore: I am surprised that a bad rectifier caused you power and rpm problems. The ignition system is completely separate from the charging system with separate windings on the stator and no connections common except for ground at stop. I am REALLY curious to know more. This might be a learning opportunity. Either describe more about the problem here or send me a PM. Thanks.