Transom saver recommendations

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2007 Polar Kraft 1470L (14ft) aluminum boat, 15hp Johnson, and LoadRite trailer. I'm considering a transom saver for a couple reasons; the extra ground clearance, and to keep the motor from bouncing around on the transom. My question is how do you keep the motor from swiveling back and forth?

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom saver recommendations

I am really not sure if you need one ofr a motor that small but if you are set on getting one, the saver had a band that goes around the lower unit and does a good job from letting it move side to side.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have one of these

20695_0.jpg

and the swiveling bumpers lock the outboard into the forward position, LU is held snug with a rubber strap.

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one of these

20695_0.jpg

and the swiveling bumpers lock the outboard into the forward position, LU is held snug with a rubber strap.

I have the same unit and agree it would lock the motor into place.

PUP300

Seaman Apprentice

In my opinion, only use the above if you have power tilt and trim. If you don't the motor can bounce still and the part that sits on the roller can come off. I have a transom saver that attaches to the frame of my trailer with a pin. Hope that helps.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, I don't use the roller mount either. I chucked the part that attaches to the trailer roller and pinned the T/S it to my trailer frame,,, basically threw away the half of the T/S that attaches to the trailer.

Expidia

Commander

In my opinion, only use the above if you have power tilt and trim. If you don't the motor can bounce still and the part that sits on the roller can come off. I have a transom saver that attaches to the frame of my trailer with a pin. Hope that helps.

Those TS can be used with any O/B. They have holes in each end where you hook a small bungie cord around the frame. some come with the cords. Even the outboard end uses a bungie or rubber strap to hold it to the O/B.

Without using those straps they are sure to fall off at some point when hitting a bump.

The pin that attaches to the frame is more secure and easier to attach as you pointed out. But you still need to strap the outboard into the other end.

I mounted a rubber roller upside down to further cushion the ride since I do a lot of trailering. I had the extra roller from when I converted two rollers to the self centering ones.

Pic below shows the roller, but does not show the bungies/straps that I attach to each end before I hit the road:

Most TS's come with all the hardware for various ways to mount them. I've used the same kit for 3 different boats already and attached each one a little different, so it's worth holding on the the extra parts!

As to the original posters question my previous boat was a 13 foot aluminum with the Merc 9.9 4 stroke on it. I used a TS cause I did not like to see the O/B bouncing around while trailering. And I also figure the smaller the boat the weaker the transom (less beef) so a TS can only add to the structual life of your boat, in my opinion.

DSC04013.jpg

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Without using those straps they are sure to fall off at some point when hitting a bump.
This is what I can't understand, not slamming or anything of the sort, but if the above statement is true then what is the purpose of a TS?
Is that not what they are suppose to stop, the bouncing?
I can also see the straps stopping them from falling off but that also proves the motor is bouncing and possibly causing the transom damage that the transom saver is suppose to protect?:confused:Irv964

Expidia

Commander

This is what I can't understand, not slamming or anything of the sort, but if the above statement is true then what is the purpose of a TS?
Is that not what they are suppose to stop, the bouncing?
I can also see the straps stopping them from falling off but that also proves the motor is bouncing and possibly causing the transom damage that the transom saver is suppose to protect?:confused:Irv964

I don't understand your question?

I think what you are saying is what's the diff vs the bracket or the TS . . if the O/B still bounces around when you power tilt against the little bracket on the O/B (you are not supposed to use that little bracket, that's what my Merc manual says). And my dealer told me it was OK when I first got the O/B. Mine bent right away while trailering and had to be bent back as it started hitting the O/B. That little bracket is for protection against the piston letting go and while your hands or head is under there servicing it I would think.

O/B still bounced all around on me anyway using the bracket and it is of flimsy steel, at least with my model.

Now the O/B leg sits in the V of the TS it rests on 4 rubber pieces so not as to mar the paint (I still use a small rag over the rubber pieces so I have zero marring). The long rubber strap goes around the leg to keep it into the V especially if there is no power tilt.

I also use the rag cause it's too easy to jam those rubber pieces into the paints finish when using the power tilt button. Any bouncing is now eliminated.

If an O/B has power tilt, you could forgo the strap, but if you didn't power the leg enough against the TS it could slide down a little it could fall off on a bump in the road and it would drag along the road since the other end is held on by the small bungee.

This is why the pin system to the frame might be more secure since it might hold it in an upright position. I don't know as I've never used the pin connection.

Tip: I also use a bright yellow plastic bag over the prop which is held in place with two rubber bands. The O/B is black, the prop is black and if you are a car driving up behind me, one can't tell the the leg is way out there. Especially if the sun is in their eyes or they are texting, cell phone etc. Just another step I use to hopefully prevent ruining my day or a good part of my boating season waiting for replacement parts.

When someone has lumber or pipes hanging off their vehicle many states require a flag on the end, so I trailer the O/B with the same principle.

Merc25XD

Seaman

I have a TS on my 14' Lund with a 25hp Merc on the backend. I would NOT be without one. I love it !!

xx_dirt_diva_xx

Recruit

Newbie to the group here but I have a chrysler sport satellite with a chrysler 75h O/B and I use the "My-Wedge, website of the same name. I still bungie my motor just as a precautionary measure but for the most part, if I put enough pressure on it without going overboard mind you my motor stays in place. Pretty spendy apparatus but less expensive than repairing my transom. Just a suggestion.

Expidia

Commander

Newbie to the group here but I have a chrysler sport satellite with a chrysler 75h O/B and I use the "My-Wedge, website of the same name. I still bungie my motor just as a precautionary measure but for the most part, if I put enough pressure on it without going overboard mind you my motor stays in place. Pretty spendy apparatus but less expensive than repairing my transom. Just a suggestion.

Tried that same device. And 2nd the pretty expensive comment for a piece of rubber :eek:. And if you have two pistons you need to buy two of them :eek: :eek:

Still did not like seeing my outboard bouncing away in the review mirror after spending like $45 with shipping for the My Wedge piece of rubber.

Never thought of the using a bungie to hold it down though, good idea.

Never felt comfortable using the device because it just seems to me it was somehow putting extra pressure on my piston when trailering which I know will be expensive to replace. But this is just me, hope it continues to work out for you.

Welcome to iboats :)

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The TS will not completely eliminate bounce, but will help controll the amount of bouce if your going over rough terrain or potholes, thus controlling the amount of flex on your transom. Using tarp straps at both ends of the TS and I also bungee cord my steering wheel to keep the motor from turning.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Guys, actually i just waiting my TS to arrive, anyway my boat have a 1993 115HP Mariner o/b with power trim and the outboard doesnt bounce in any way without the TS, I didnt have that trouble..I just bought the TS as a "cheap insurance" and safety when trailering. Here is mine :)

Attachments

• 8211_1.jpg
    8211_1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0

ctraugh

Cadet

^^^ I am new to boating but is that a good idea hooking the TS up to the prop like that. I would be afraid of bending it or throwing it out of balance. I'm sure there isn't allot of pressure on the prop but with the price of a new prop I wouldn't want to chance it.

kenzmadie

Cadet

I don't have a roller in the back and I have a big light right in the middle of the center of the back of my trailer. I have few options in terms of attaching a transom saver to the back of my trailer. I suppose I could bolt it to the bottom but there is already a large bolt poking through the bottom to hold a cushion in place and I'm not sure that bolt would fit through the hole on a bolted on transom saver. I was looking at the "My wedge" with the centering clips and wondering how that combination would work. I've actually read on other sites that some dealers don't recommend transom savers. My dealer told me it would "be fine" but the Mercury manual recommends one. Any thoughts?

Expidia

Commander

I don't have a roller in the back and I have a big light right in the middle of the center of the back of my trailer. I have few options in terms of attaching a transom saver to the back of my trailer. I suppose I could bolt it to the bottom but there is already a large bolt poking through the bottom to hold a cushion in place and I'm not sure that bolt would fit through the hole on a bolted on transom saver. I was looking at the "My wedge" with the centering clips and wondering how that combination would work. I've actually read on other sites that some dealers don't recommend transom savers. My dealer told me it would "be fine" but the Mercury manual recommends one. Any thoughts?

It would be helpful to take a close up pic of the back of your rig.

I find most dealers I've run into are not the owners with 30 years experience. They are just salespeople. They don't care if you put excess pressure on your transom, it's not their boat! With the weight of that 90 I would certainly use a TS.

You could mount the clip on the pin style. It won't matter if it's off center a little because of the light placement. Any support is better than no support. I tried the "My Wedge" and I was not crazy about it. I worry about blowing the piston seal (but that's just my opinion). The $45 TS is a lot cheaper than replacing a piston.

Funny story today: I put the boat in a lake and never took the TS off. I guess when I pushed the boat off the trailer since the ramp was very shallow the TS was hanging of the trailer when I parked the car. Good thing I had secured the bottom to the roller with a short bungie or I would have lost it to someone walking by my parked trailer for sure. It's a new one as in the pic above with the prop lock :eek:

I just happened to look down at the O/B when I was in the boat about 20 yards from the dock and said myself "hey, I don't ever remember taking the TS off". How is this O/B tilting up and down so easily :confused:

Pulled back to the dock, ran to the car and there it was still hanging off the trailer :)

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

choose wisely i have went through a couple of the alum ones and mine is barely holding together now.. I think i'm going to buy that steel one from the previous post.. i doubt a small motor would be able to stress it to the breaking point though..