Towing Capacity Help

flingus

Seaman
Alright, I really hate to post this but, I lost the link I had from IBOATS that had the information I needed.

I've been looking for a tow vehicle for my 2002 Larson Cabrio. Trailer and all its about 5,800 lbs. I keep contacting dealers on vehicles I >know< can tow it and the truck/van ends up being sold, or a piece of junk. Then, the dealer calls me back about another vehicle that I don't know the towing capacity of. I search online and end up going in circles for HOURS. Everyone says they have the towing capacity, I click on the link, and end up with all sorts of garbage.

So, long story short.. :) I know, too late. I remember there being a site where you could look up all vehicles, almost all years. Does anyone have that site still? It wasn't MSN Autos.. It was something to do with RV's or campers. I tried camping world I think and the pulldowns were blank so you couldn't chose between models and years..

Just in case someone knows off hand, the vehicle I am looking at now is a 1997 Ford Explorer with a V8. I would still like the link because, I'm sure I'll look at it and find out its leaking trans fluid or something. Lol.

Thanks in advance,

Flingus

salty87

Commander
Re: Towing Capacity Help

those V8 explorers get particularly bad mileage from what i've been told, without towing. take that for what it's worth.

don't forget the weight of gear in your truck, people, gas. it all adds up quick. i like to have a little more vehicle, longer wheelbase. esp if towing any distances.

haulnazz15

Captain

It's going to be tough finding an SUV that size with a tow rating like that. A tahoe or expedition might be a better idea. Why not just get a crew cab truck like an F-150 or Avalanche?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

an explorer isn't gonna do it, you need a bigger vehicle.

flingus

Seaman

Well, I'm looking at basicly any vehicle than can tow 5800 and up but... A SUV or Van is prefered because I also have a band and lots of sound equipment.. So, the idea of having the equipment in a vehicle with a roof (instead of a pickup or a pickup with a bed cover) is nice. Also, I have two dogs and one of them is getting up in age and, a van or SUV would be easier for them to get into. I'm actually hoping on a van but, I cant find any. The scenerio goes, I call on a van, and the dealer has sold it and then we start talking SUV's and pickups. :S And I just cant tell what the towing capacity of half of these vehicles are.

I found a good deal on a cargo van, a F-350... Its WELL over what I need but, would work GREAT. The GVWR is freakin 9,500 lbs. lol.

I also should have mentioned, most of the time I wont be driving this vehicle more than 5 miles at a time, every weekend or every other weekend. Then, when my band has a gig maybe 30 miles or so but, not towing anything..

Thanks,

Flingus

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't pull that big of a boat with my Tahoe. Minimum is a 3/4 ton truck or SUV. The 3/4 ton Chevy 2500HD would be nice or a Ford F250.

flingus

Seaman

Yeah, my family and friends thought I was nuts for renting a F-250 to tow the boat home from Michigan (to georgia) but I'll tell ya, the F-250 drove like it wasn't towing ANYTHING. And that includes the mountains going south through Kentucky and Tennesee. I never liked ford until I rented that truck. What a freakin beast. And it even had the smaller V8 in it. (5.4 liter maybe?)

I'm sure the F350 van will tow my boat but, its not cheap. :S

Anyway, still looking for that link that used to be up here for looking up towing capacities for all vehicles if anyone has it. :)

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Find an 03 or above expedition. Look at the back where the hitch is. If it has both the 4 pin flat and the big 7 pin round connectors on a welded bracket, it has the H/D tow package. Must also have the 5.4L engine.
I have one and it tows my 7500# boat and trailer like it wasn't there. You can actually forget you are towing.
The expedition so equipped has an 8900# rating. The 02s and older only are rated 7800#. Ford strengthened the frame, added rack and pinion steering, and independent read suspension. Handles like a luxury sedan.
Note: the box hitxh is part of the frame, not a bolt on. Stronger.

cribber

Lieutenant

It's overkill but the Ford Expedition SUV will haul 15,000 GCWR which equates to pulling a max of 9200 lbs on a trailer.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/expedition/features/specs/

My BIL has a 1995 Chevy Conversion van (Mark III modified cruiser) that I know will tow 7500 lbs as long as the trailer has electric brakes since this rig is wired for that.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A newer Chevy Suburban is rated at 8400 lbs towing. More than enough. The 5.3 gets okay mileage when empty too,

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 98 suburban and it pulls my 23ft weighing in at 5800 boat and trailer, its pulls it fine, knows its back there but not struggling.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dodge 2500 diesel, pulls my 10000 lb load like nothing.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

my dad likes having a van as a tow vehicle as well. he has a 23ft Maxum and tows it on a tandem axle trailer with a ford E-350 and a 460 V8. enough room for the family and a couple guests, and enough power to climb any grade from SoCal to lake mead. actually, its his second one. 1st one was exactly the same just different color, thats how happy he is with em.

bhammer

Ensign

We purchased a Chrysler Aspen last year during summer during the heat of high gas prices. Got a great deal on it. It tows very well and can't tell my 5000# boat is behind it. It also gets about 15 MPG during my wifes short city driving. It has the 5.7L that shuts down 4 of the cylinders when it isn't needed.

Provo5

Seaman

I tow my 23, Mariah with my suburban without any problems. I also have a 98 step side F150 that I tow it with, but the shorter wheelbase allows the boat to push the F150 around a bit. Whatever you buy I recomend a long wheelbase vehical.

TilliamWe

Banned

The wonder of google.

Here is a link to a page that has links to the Trailer Life tow ratings from 1999 on.

http://www.racetrack-rv.com/rv_towing.htm

And if that database has gaps in it, or you want to confirm it, try

www.trailerboats.com

They have a tow ratings database. It is most accurate for current model year vehicles, though. It gets a little pared down on information for non-current model vehicles.

Good luck.

flingus

Seaman

Might end up buying a Ford E-350. Found one at a local dealer pretty cheap. Towing capacity if it has the cheapest rear end is 6,600 lbs. 5.4 liter V8, tow package, the whole deal..

Just to hear some opinions.. One of my friends has a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, with a V6... He says his truck with tow my boat & trailer (5800 lbs) no problem. I checked on the above websites and the towing capacity is listed at 3,600 lbs. Any thoughts? Keep in mind, the boat would be towed from the storage facility to the ramp, maybe a total of 2 miles each way. My biggest concern is getting the boat up the ramp after its been in the water... My vote is not a good idea but, what do I know? ;)

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Flingus

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

THat v-6 may tow it but it will struggle even on the slightest of hills. Pulling out would be interesting too. My vote would be a diesel either Ford or Chevy. Look at my signiture ad you will see which one I prefer. I have a Tahoe also that has the 5.3 and it tows well also. But hills make it work hard. Just make sure you get the right rear in what evr package you get.