Grease Fittings

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are the grease fittings made of stainless steel or are they just like on an automobile? Have a 1996 90hp V4 and one of the grease fittings I can't get any grease through.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Grease Fittings

Are the grease fittings made of stainless steel or are they just like on an automobile? Have a 1996 90hp V4 and one of the grease fittings I can't get any grease through.

Have no idea if they are the same but no matter - if you cant get grease thu it change it -

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

I never gave it any thought before but it was working. I wasn't even sure if they made them that way but I see you could get them made just about any way you want.

Just figured that I use the boat in salt water only and thought SS made the most sense.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, there was a year that OMC used some steel (car) fittings and it created a huge yowl. Almost as bad as the time they used pressed-in fittings and they all came out when you tried to pull the grease gun off of it.

Let's just say they are supposed to be stainless.

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

I'll see if I can clear it out if not its off to the OMC guy.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Every stuck grease fitting that I have suffered has yielded to a rap on the little ball with a small punch. The impact has always freed up the little ballbearing and the fitting has then taken grease. You don't need much "oooomph".

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Might want to take it off and soak it in some solvent. I cannot imagine that they would go bad...just some crap in it. Might save you a couple of bucks and a trip to the MAN.

MAs

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Zapper - Stop selling your tool in old threads.