New 2008 245sb owner!

cdalesch

Recruit
Hey everybody, just got this boat. Couldnt resist the price! Love this boat! Any warnings, tips or advice?

steve201

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New 2008 245sb owner!

never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it...

Steve

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Well, Steve does have a valid point - :eek:
They are really good boats, but as with any vessel they are only as good as the maintenance you put into them. There's an old saying that goes " for every hour of operation there's two hours of maintenance".
Just keep you fluid levels up to par, do your maintenance as per your manual and you should be just fine.
Boats are a different breed of animal all together. Ignore them and they will bite you in the arse. :D

orbit

Cadet

I would suggest to reseal the eye hook, and tighten all hose clamps.

orbit

Cadet

YOu may want to check your bilge drain hoses. I found I would get water in the forward bilge area (under the table mount) when we would go in rougher water and sometime water in the rear bilge (under the engine). I found they ran the bilge hoses straight in and down into the bilge area. This allowed water to run straight in the hoses and inside the boat in rough water as there was only 8 inches between the water line and the bilge outlet on the side of the boat. To solve I bought three new hoses and clamps and ran new hoses with a anti siphon loop (in from the outlet and up 1 ft and then down into the bilge). This totally solve the issue and now the bilge areas are always bone dry. Even in the roughest of water.

:)

capt_neo

Seaman Apprentice

Congratulations cdalesch!

Having just purchased a 2009 340 SB Cruiser I am familiar with the feelings of euphoria one gets with A NEW BOAT! :D

I have nothing specific to add to this thread other than repeating what steve201 and gcboat suggested. Since we do not know your level of experience (from the Forum's perspective), nor the origin of where you purchased the vessel; private sale (possible lack of maintenance), or dealership (never been in the water yet). That makes a big difference. I believe (hope) many may be hesitent to offer specifics so as not to appear as condescending to another boating buddy.

Enjoy your new boat, and if you are new to the boating life experience, I highly recommend enrolling in a boating seamanship course. In my home state (TX), they are available on line for free.

Cheers,
Gary

Bayliner245

Recruit

Hey everybody, just got this boat. Couldnt resist the price! Love this boat! Any warnings, tips or advice?

Ive had my 08 now for a year and probably have 100 hours on it. Love it! Are you using a trailer? I slip mine all year around.

Warning, the thing is a SOB to get into a slip. Ive done it at least 50 times now and still cant get it right. when backing in the thing is just too Bow happy (a thruster would sure be nice).