Looking for a dog...

mrwiggles2

Seaman
Re: Looking for a dog...

We just got our first lab yesterday. He is a 1 1/2 old black lab, named Reagan. He is super sweet, 70lbs and was from the SPCA, from their rescue program. Hasn't been on a boat far as I know, but once the ice is off Erie, we'll find out.

2009_0412006.jpg

T-O-Double-D

Seaman

A very smart dog, although she won't go in the water till there's a reason like a thrown ball or the like.
2Kingoftheworld.jpg

Australian Shepard.

Todd.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Springer Spaniels and Labs are wonderful companions, however try your best to be sure that a "Puppy Mill" is not the beneficiary of your choice.

Dont forget about a Cheasapeake Bay Retriver...They like water so much they have webed feet.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gotta love that golden doodle!!! -enjoyed those pics!:)

My wife is allergic to dogs and she is handicapped. We could only have a puppy if he didn't shed and was very gently and easy going. It would have been nice to get her a shelter dog, but then you never can be sure of what you're getting. Merlin was expensive but we couldn't have made a better choice.

He is our first dog and we have found the dog community as friendly and interesting as we do fellow boaters. Merlin has brought us much joy and has given us a great appreciation for all dogs.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont like shepards. one of the neighbors came up and bit me in the knee. ive had bad experiences with dogs related to shepards or the word german in them :mad:

well i got a lab and basset hound mix its short and long. loves to go swimming. comes boating with me all the time. labs get kinda big is what im worried about especially if they jump on u. basset hounds might be nice? not big but i thinkt here stupid cause my dog sure is:D
I hope you don't really mean that one of your neighbors bit you on the knee. It would be bad enough if it was one of your neighbor's dogs!

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Springer Spaniels and Labs are wonderful companions, however try your best to be sure that a "Puppy Mill" is not the beneficiary of your choice.
What an absolutely great screen name! Ten points (at least) for originality!:)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

second that

I third the boxers. I'm not sure if they like to swim mine seems satisfied inside the boat. My boxer is sweet and gentle with the family. He seems to like all kids also.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I vote for going to the local shelter and letting the dog pick you. Would you buy a car based solely on utility or do like some options over others, or the spoiler (or lack of) on another better? If you adopted a child, would you simply buy one based upon a description or would you want to just show up and meet the kids and choose based on the person and a few qualifications?

Dogs are living creatures and they aren't all alike. Labs aren't all the same, some mixes have unique traits you may love/hate. Pure breeds bring pure problems as a result of inbreeding, so you have to weigh future issues against having an inbred.

Also, much more importantly, weight whether or not you are serious about adding to your family. If you are the type to bore of something after a year or so and see a dog as 'just an animal', you likely shouldn't own a dog to begin with. Likewise if you cannot commit to training, constant care and feeding and a likely 10-12 years of 24/7 commitment. Dogs are not a blender, they more resemble a pre-teen. If you don't want a pre-teen, get a blender instead.

LadyFish

Admiral

I agree on the shelter deal. We had a lab mix (big red dog with copper penny eyes) for 13 years and he loved the boat and the water. We have a big chocolate lab purebred now and loves the boat but dosen't go in the water until I do and sheds pounds of hair everyday. I would have thought he'd be bald by now.

We Sam to death and spoil him like an only child. He's one of the smartest dogs we've ever had but the shedding is a constant nuisance since he's a in-doors dog.

a5awjo.jpg

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

That's one handsome looking dog you have there LF. have you tried to control the shedding by a different diet?

Forget the regular dietary stuff in the pet stores, look into one that is prescribed by the vet, there are also various Omega 3 supplements that can be added to Sam's food that should help, and give him a good brushing every couple of days (not indoors for godsakes)

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a brittney spaniel-beagle mix(yeah I know) who loves the boat and if Im not careful will dive in the river while the boat is full speed!! once anchored there he goes. I put him in a life jacket only because the river has one heck of an under tow.

The only trouble is that wet dog smell and I have to really dry his ears out afterwards. River water is an ear infection waiting to happen.

LadyFish

Admiral

That's one handsome looking dog you have there LF. have you tried to control the shedding by a different diet?

Forget the regular dietary stuff in the pet stores, look into one that is prescribed by the vet, there are also various Omega 3 supplements that can be added to Sam's food that should help, and give him a good brushing every couple of days (not indoors for godsakes)

Why thank you sir, I'm mighty proud of him. ;) Actually, we spoil him rotten.

We were giving him a fish oil supplement from the vets which cost about $35 until we figured out all it had in it is cod liver oil. So he's been switched to a couple of tablespoons a day of that in his food. We keep him on Purina Fit & Trim and run him twice a day. He got a bit chunky from being displaced for a couple of months post hurricance Ike.

We de-shed him every couple of weeks but he's like the never ending fur making machine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We use olive oil on the dogs kibbles..... only feed our boys California Natural and use a shedding blade on the coats.

Yes a lab will shed his weight in hair over and over and over and over....... one lady thought it would be nice idea to spin the hair into yarn and made a sweater.... bad idea ..... smells like wet dog when it rains.

jojo1

Cadet

hello all iam a newbie to this site , i have been lurking for a long long time , but when i saw the post about looking for a dog i could not resist . i have a yellow lab who is 7 yo now but when he was about 1 or 2 yo we started feeding him california natural dog food and there was less poo in the yard BUT the dogs farts never ended and i mean in the summertime when the ac was on we would have to open up the windows to air it out thats how bad the farts got . we have changed his food to iams and he gets less gas but i get more poo but to this day if he farts he gets up and runs into another room . is this because he cant stand the smell or is it because we use to chase him into another room after he farted. overall labs are the smartest and loyalist dogs out there in my opinion.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

hello all iam a newbie to this site , i have been lurking for a long long time , but when i saw the post about looking for a dog i could not resist . i have a yellow lab who is 7 yo now but when he was about 1 or 2 yo we started feeding him california natural dog food and there was less poo in the yard BUT the dogs farts never ended and i mean in the summertime when the ac was on we would have to open up the windows to air it out thats how bad the farts got . we have changed his food to iams and he gets less gas but i get more poo but to this day if he farts he gets up and runs into another room . is this because he cant stand the smell or is it because we use to chase him into another room after he farted. overall labs are the smartest and loyalist dogs out there in my opinion.

Welcome to iboats!! Please feel free to join the madness!

Your yellow lab farts :eek: My two do release a certain amount of gas too..... I think it is part of being a lab. My biggest mistake was about 5 weeks ago.... it was VERY cold and the two labs and I were on a road trip. I bought a snack size bag of Garlic Potatoe chips .... well it sounded good but they were YUCK..... the dogs loved them...... OMG did I ever pay the price for that snack. About 2 hours later in the truck..... I thought my dash would melt from the smell!

Now the true secret is what you feed them...... I always manage to slip them a good stinky snack just before I head out the door ...... when I return home my wife complains bitterly about the dog gas! I do my best to contain my laughter and yes I will do it again to her! :p:D

You could always teach the lab to leave the room to fart!

cribber

Lieutenant

Bob VT ~ dude.. if the Mrs ever finds out you are so in trouble!!! Too funny!!! My 14 year old pup is a golden/collie mix and she's hates the water so we know she'd freak out on the boat and just lay there shaking the whole time out. So we include her in the loading and unloading festivities out front which makes her day since normally she's roaming the acre out back that we fenced in for her.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I just got back from our first boating trip of the year. We had a 7 month old Chocolate along that had never been. She took to the whole thing immediately. That makes four labs we've had boating (two ours) and they have all done well. Our Beagle is great too. She won't swim for pleasure, but she will for ducks!!! Sometimes she'll swim from the shore to the swimstep if I have a treat for her, but not always.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Oh I'm so jealous! I can't wait until my dogs go for their first ever boat ride.. it will be a moment to remember I'm sure!

I just hope they remember to bring us along, too :eek: