Vovlo Dies When Shifting Into Gear

chrisdavid08

Recruit
I just recently purchased a 1998 2130ss by Chaparral. It only had 55 hours from the orginial owner. We did a complete tune up including plugs, low unit oil, engine oil, fuel seperator, oil filter, and ran high octane and fuel stablizer.

The engine wouldn't idle under 1000rpm last week, we figured it was fuel releated and put some stablizer. We got it idle fine with the fuel. Now we are seeing the follow problem:

The engine sputters and then dies when you are shifting into forward or reverse. This only happens when you don't give it a lot of gas (docking or trailering). If you give it a lot of gas it seems to work thru the sputtering and run great. It was really frustrating trying to pull in and out of the dock today when the boat kept dieing.

Any ideas? I'd like to fix this myslef. I know this boat sat a while prior to being purchased by us. Thanks for your help in advance!

Chris

ScottRogers

Cadet
Re: Vovlo Dies When Shifting Into Gear

It does sound fuel related, you might be sucking up some residual stale fuel or debris in tank. You may have to change the water/fuel filter a couple of times. If the boat sat for some time like you say, it might be a good idea to go through the carb. Just clean out the bowl and jets. Also was the throttle cable disconnected at all ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't just change filters, when you remove the old one, dump it into a clear container and see if there is water in it. Report back with your findings.

chrisdavid08

Recruit

I forgot to mention that the shifting lever is very "tight". It is difficult to move. Could this be a problem too? Another forum mentioned the shifting cable?

Any ideas.

I'm going to check the fuel filter this evening and post back

Don S

Another forum mentioned the shifting cable?

And some may say that your red nav light being burned out will cause your engine to stall, but on a Volvo, the shift cables have nothing to do with the engine except when you put it in gear there is a little more load on the engine than when in neutral.
If you had a Merc Alpha type drive, that would be a different story.

Cruiser 32

Cadet

Can someone please tell me how to post a question without having to respond to another? Thank you.

Don S

Just above the Adults Only sticky at the top of the forum you will see a button like this:

newthread.gif

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it want to die even when the motor is warmed up?

chrisdavid08

Recruit

Yes, no matter if warm or cold.

It's odd because the boat runs very well, just not when coming out of neutrel softly. It's only a hassle when docking or trying to accelerate slowly.

I have got so many different people saying different things ranging from bad fuel, carb problems, vacuum issues, shifter, shifting cable, shifting cable, EAS box, etc....

Don't know where to start.

Don S

I have got so many different people saying different things ranging from bad fuel, carb problems, vacuum issues, shifter, shifting cable, shifting cable, EAS box, etc....

First of all, anyone can guess, but it helps to know what you are listening too. I have had many customers bring there boat in and say it runs fine, just lacks power, only to start it and hear a dead miss. Then do a compresion test and find ZERO compression on 2 cylinders. Ran fine!!!! I think not. After questioning the customer, I found he just did a valve job, so I RE-adjusted the valves and all was fine.
Short of that, there is troubleshooting.
Like I said earlier, you have a Volvo, not an OMC or Mercruser, so no shift interrupt switches, or ESA units, so if people tell you that is your problem, they don't have a clue what you have.

It's only a hassle when docking or trying to accelerate slowly.

What is your idle rpm in gear?

What is the FULL model number of your engine, or even the Volvo SN would help.

chrisdavid08

Recruit

I drained the fuel/water filter in a mason jar tonight. It had NO WATER in it.

From looking at the numbers on the engine this is what I found

A silver sticker read the following:

Engine: 4110725
Dirve Unit: 4112049425
Both numbers above were very hard to read

Also had a number listed on the block below the word volvo that was raised in the metal. The number was 3856070

I hope this helps!

Chris

Don S

Here are all the correct SN's, spec numbers, and model numbers for your engine and drive. Don't loose them. Your full model number for your engine is 5.0GLPBYC The BY is the letters that tell the story of year, model, and parts.

attachment.php

Your problem could be a simple carb problem, hard to say.
When was the last full tuneup? Compression check, timing check, etc.

Might want to start at the link below and download some OEM manuals for your engine.
You need 4.

Engine http://www.4shared.com/account/file...51_BY_Engine_Manual.html?sId=qxTcxhTRjcLKyNGw

Elect http://www.4shared.com/account/file/90204285/372805eb/7797452_BY_Elect_Ign.html?sId=qxTcxhTRjcLKyNGw

Fuel http://www.4shared.com/account/file...7453_BY_Fuel_System.html?sId=qxTcxhTRjcLKyNGw

Drive http://www.4shared.com/account/file...DP-S_Service_Manual.html?sId=qxTcxhTRjcLKyNGw

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Im interested to see if you figure out whats wrong. We have two 1990 volvos like yours and they have also been dying when idling or when shifting. Got a feeling it either has bad gas or the carbs needs a cleaning but we will see.

So far weve changed the plugs and they were pretty fouled but were not sure how old they were. Changed those and were going to change the caps and buttons, fuel filters, and suck some gas out of the tanks to see how it looks.

After that the carbs will be cleaned if its not fixed.

chrisdavid08

Recruit

Thanks so much.

We bought the boat and did a complete oil change, lower gear oil change, Fuel Filter, and plugs.

I have not had the compression or timing checked. Can I just put the carbs off and clean out the bowls? I know it is a Holley Carb, are they pretty basic?

I'll keep everyone updated.