QS-21 Carb adjustments

Popsrose'

Cadet
Good day and God bless. I was given a QS21 10 horse. Cleaned carb, cleaned and reset points. Replaced fuel lines. Got good fire. Set lower jet at 1 turn. Set upper jet at 1-1/2 turns. Cranked my but off and not even a wimper. Checked plugs and they were wet. (Flooded I think) Question, What is the proprer initial settings?
Thanks much.
Popsrose
Tennessee Hick

lindy46

Captain
Re: QS-21 Carb adjustments

Have you checked compression. If the compression is bad, you'll be pulling that thing forever. How did you clean the carb? Did you remove it and take it apart? Or just squirt carb cleaner in the throat? Proper procedure would be to dismantle it, soak the parts in carb cleaner, blow out the jets and install a new carb kit and float. Your initial settings are about right. Did you set the points to .020"?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Do you mean a QD-21? A 1960 Johnson 10hp? Yes, check the compression. And when you say you got good spark, how'd you check it? Did you use a spark tester with a large gap or just hold the wire near a ground? If the coils have not been changed then they will need changing as they deteriorate with age, not usage.

Popsrose'

Cadet

Yes, took carb off, cleaned with carb, did not use carb kit (Yet). Compression, don't know. No gauge. Feels like I have good compress. Removed and cleaned the square box on side. They need to make it idiot proof. Thanks for you input and keep it between the banks.
Popsrose'

Popsrose'

Cadet

Yes QD-21 10p. Check spark the old way. Grounded plug and pull my but off.
Just an old broke shade tree mechanic. Thanks much
Popsrose'

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Get a spark tester. They're less than $10 and you can adjust the gap to really see how the coils are firing.

Popsrose'

Cadet

Thanks much guys. I will get the compression cecked. Points at .020. Going to get to it and see where she goes. Leave a few in the lake for me, When I get there.
Popsrose'