The famous "Power Launch" at the Boat Ramp

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Well, having a fiancee who knows nothing about boating can be quite a fun experience. When we go out, I back the truck 3/4 down the ramp, and explain to her: "All you have to do is go STRAIGHT back, and VERY SLOW!"

So on one occasion (mind you it's the Saturday morning rush at the ramp) we wait 45 minutes to get in the ramp, I back the truck up, and get ready to let her finish.

After almost jack-knifing the Expedition and the boat, I finally get her to calm down, and come straight back. She came barreling down the ramp, I tell her to slow down, so she slams on the brakes! This sends the boat flying off the trailer, in the water (Thank God!), but then it wouldn't start. Here I am, floating in a terrible current, and the boat won't start.

Well, after bouncing off a couple boats, getting a couple fishing lines tangled around the outdrive, I finally float to the dock. Of course everyone is looking at me like I don't know what I'm doing, which always makes you feel great.

She has pulled this power launch on me a few times, so I think next time, I will let her be in the boat, power launch her, and see how she reacts.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The famous "Power Launch" at the Boat Ramp

She has pulled this power launch on me a few times, so I think next time, I will let her be in the boat, power launch her, and see how she reacts.

Better pack some earplugs....

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Well, having a fiancee who knows nothing about boating can be quite a fun experience.
[...]

Ooo... If she listens to you like this while still a fiancee, then all I can say is "Danger Will Robinson!".

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Next time, you should back the boat down the ramp until the trailer wheels hit the water, then let her take over. And hope she does hit the brakes :eek:

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Shizzy

Ensign

My OL and I have already established I back the trailer in and out.

the one time she tried pulling the trailer out we found out she wasnt as quick on the clutch as we thought. :eek: it seems I made it look easier the it was. LUCKILY she was much quicker on the brake pedal....

spktho

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tie a bow line and have her hold the boat after you launch it.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I always do the backing in no matter what.. I dont want my day ruined by being yelled at. I suggest practicing it all alone and make her sit on the bank lol..

salty87

Commander

I always do the backing in no matter what.. I dont want my day ruined by being yelled at. I suggest practicing it all alone and make her sit on the bank lol..

exactly...just sit there and look good, babe. i'll take care of everything.

Nandy

Commander

Shane, why dont you take the time to teach her how to do it properly instead of talking her down here? In the other hand there are things that some people cant do as they dont have the skills and cant learn them. In that case, dont let her do the backing.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Well, having a fiancee who knows nothing about boating can be quite a fun experience. When we go out, I back the truck 3/4 down the ramp, and explain to her: "All you have to do is go STRAIGHT back, and VERY SLOW!"

So on one occasion (mind you it's the Saturday morning rush at the ramp) we wait 45 minutes to get in the ramp, I back the truck up, and get ready to let her finish.

After almost jack-knifing the Expedition and the boat, I finally get her to calm down, and come straight back. She came barreling down the ramp, I tell her to slow down, so she slams on the brakes! This sends the boat flying off the trailer, in the water (Thank God!), but then it wouldn't start. Here I am, floating in a terrible current, and the boat won't start.

Well, after bouncing off a couple boats, getting a couple fishing lines tangled around the outdrive, I finally float to the dock. Of course everyone is looking at me like I don't know what I'm doing, which always makes you feel great.

I can honestly relate my freind :rolleyes:

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Nandy, I apologize if I have offended you in some way. Trust me, I am not the type as some describe on here as yelling at their significant other so loud it can wake the dead. I am very patient with her, have tried numerous times to teach her at empty boat ramps, and NEVER yell at her. Heck, if I were to yell at her, I might as well stay home that day because it would not be a fun outing. I understand that it is a learning process, I was simply commenting on how said process is going. I launch the boat myself, but she wants to help, so I let her. Once again, I apologize if I offended you.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

she's gonna end up hating going out, you need to spend a weekday practicing with her and show a lot of paitence and positive reinforcement. no-one is born knowing how to do things, we learn thru good practice, weekends are a tough time to learn.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Well, my wife can't back the boat in either. So, when we get to the ramp, I have her get out, go over to the dock. Do all the launchign myself, then idle to boat over to her at the dock and let her hold it as I quickly tie up, jump back in the truck, then go park.

Takes me about 3-5 minutes from hitting the ramp to being off of it. Keeps everyone waiting happy, she gets to feel like she helped out, and the outing is always fun.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have found it is almost better to get a total stranger help launch your boat rather than having your wife or girlfriend help. Saves piece in the family. On the rare occasion that I have my wife help I get the trailer tiger at waters edge and have her back straight back. Most of the time that works.LOL

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always let the wife have a bow line and backed it down myself. I always felt that way if something went wrong I couldn't be mad at anyone but myself. Now that the wife is gone and I have the girlfriend, she wants to back the boat down. Still trying to convince her that the bowline is the job for her!!!!

204 Escape

Ensign

Well, I am one of the lucky ones, my wife is an old farm girl who can back a trailer with the best of them. We also use a small set of walkie-talkies (like hunters use), and communicate that way.

We have a system for the 4 of us that we do prior to backing down the ramp. It works well, and so far (knock on wood), it works.

Maybe it would help if she turned the mirrors down, to help her see the trailer whild backing down the ramp. Just tell her it's not a race, and show her some encouragement. It will all be fine !!!!!!!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....instead of talking her down here? In the other hand there are things that some people cant do as they dont have the skills and cant learn them. In that case, dont let her do the backing.

Wise man. Some people just can't do stuff- it's not a put-down.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

backing a trailer is a learned skill like driving a car or a boat, it ain't like you're building a piano. I've got a friend who's wife backs their 27' CC with a crew cab chevy pickup and she's the worse driver ever but she gets the boat in the water every time.

Nandy

Commander

Nandy, I apologize if I have offended you in some way. Trust me, I am not the type as some describe on here as yelling at their significant other so loud it can wake the dead. I am very patient with her, have tried numerous times to teach her at empty boat ramps, and NEVER yell at her. Heck, if I were to yell at her, I might as well stay home that day because it would not be a fun outing. I understand that it is a learning process, I was simply commenting on how said process is going. I launch the boat myself, but she wants to help, so I let her. Once again, I apologize if I offended you.

I have absolutely no idea why are you apologizing to me...

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nandy, stop being difficult. You reacted negatively to his post. which, by the way, was fun and funny untill you commented; so he apologized to you for offending you or upsetting you.

Nobody is putting down anybody here. My fiance can't back the trailer down the ramp for beans and she knows it so she lets me do it. And I've got some funny stories about it and she laughs along with me. I'm not "putting her down".