Steering solution 10 foot Invader

pillazilla

Cadet
I have a newer mould of a classic gw invader from the 60s era. im a little sketchy on putting a full size 50 hp merc on it instead i swamped out and got ahold of an old 57 evinrude big twin35 hp ..

problem is it isnt set up for the modern cable steering configuration, if a pulley steering system is my only option i need some tips or diagrams or pictures on how to install it properly to my motor thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering solution 10 foot Invader

That motor was designed for cable and pulley steering, however modern rack and pinion and rotary steering may be used with some additonal stuff. What does the boat have now? if cable and pully, I recommend you hook it up. if it has the more modern steering, get on the teleflex site and look for a soution. Teleflex sells a clamp for the end of the steering cable that bolts to the splashwell. A steering rod then connects to the motor. there should be a picture of it. Most marine stores stock or can order it for you.

pillazilla

Cadet

i had a cable system before on the boat but it was broken so i trashed it ... i suppose new pulleys and cable would be a simpler and possibly cheaper solution the the teleflex system but it does seem like a good choice thanks for the advice

pillazilla

Cadet

does anyone have any diagrams or pictures of how the pulleys are attached to the back of the boat that would be helpful thanks guys!