Replacing Blown 454 - the Rebuild

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
OK, So I thought it was time to start up a thread about my blown 454, and the replacement.

before I start I have to say thanks to many of the people on this site for their help as I have asked a heck of a lot of questions over the past few months. Too many to name directly, but a couple of shout outs to Don S and Bond-o... man you guys are very generous with your time... Thanks.

ok the back story.

Last summer, lake powell... nice morning, thought an early morning ride would be nice, A few seconds later, a really nasty sounding thump... -- long story short --- start paddling the 1 mile, take a couple breaks :)

deans_boat.jpg

When I got home, i did some research, doing nothing, being very afraid of the answer I was to find later. (I was really hoping if I waited all summer it would heal itself and I would not have a problem---did not work :p ) What I found, the #5 cylinder was gone
IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

Ultimately. The wrist pin connection broke, 1989 Mercruiser 7.4 bravo 1... now works much better as an anchor than it's original purpose....

Having just put new upholstery in the summer before... I knew I was in for some more work... (now I had to work around the upholstery... not as much fun!)

Finally, I pulled the motor. I actually was impressed how fast that could happen, when you have 5 guys helping -- Putting it back and figuring out where all the parts go... that will be the interesting story of this thread...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Blown 454 - the install

A hint on your repairs.
DO NOT make this a thread for the whole job.
It gets so long and slow to load and the subjects change as the process move along that most people (except those that don't know what you are doing but want to learn) are the only ones that sift through all the posts and try to keep up with the thread. and who reads page 2 of a 10 page thread, especially after you changed subjects on pages 3, 5 7, and 10.

These long drawn out threads turn out to be a buddy thead with 2 or 3 people paying attention with little more than back slapping.
You won't need all that if you want it to run.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all sorry to hear about your motor. Very nice boat. I have one just like it. How long have you had the Arriva? And have you had any luck finding parts for it? I live in Nebraska and have a hard time getting some parts. Good luck with your project. Nice seeing another Arriva.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

The Teardown.

Having pulled the motor, I started pulling it apart. I learned a couple of things.

1. I had about 4 Gallons of Milky oil, I was not really ready for that :eek:
IMG_8195.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

2. I have a patient wife, as I had taken over the entire garage, again, with one of my projects :D

The New Motor

IMG_9407.JPG

Having a nice new long block ready, I had to take a few long hours/weeks and clean up the parts to the motor. Compared to the motor, every piece needed some cleaning/painting. I don't know if anyone else had use electrolysis for rust removal or not, but it works pretty well to make the rust into a more stable form. I used it for exhaust manifolds, elbows even the front cover.

Today I finished installing the Intake manifold and the Valve covers.
IMG_9415.JPG

I cannot put the oil pan on yet, because I needed a new Oil Pickup screen for the Oil pump. That should be here tomorrow.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing Blown 454 - the long block

Re: Replacing Blown 454 - the long block

First of all sorry to hear about your motor. Very nice boat. I have one just like it. How long have you had the Arriva? And have you had any luck finding parts for it? I live in Nebraska and have a hard time getting some parts. Good luck with your project. Nice seeing another Arriva.

Thanks, I like the Arriva, owned it now for 5 years, bought it from the 2nd owner, and I knew the first and the second. Unfortunately, just because the first owner is a stickler for maintenance and details, owner 2 was good, but not as keen to the details- so it needed a little TLC but then again it is a 20 year old boat, but I love the lines.

most of the parts I have found with research, the only thing I have not found direct replacement parts are gauges, PM me with what you are looking for and I will help you with what I know.

DO NOT make this a thread for the whole job...
You won't need all that if you want it to run.

Thanks Don, I will keep it short.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Teardown.

1. I had about 4 Gallons of Milky oil, I was not really ready for that :eek:

Milky oil in a milk jug... hahah

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

A short day at it, worked on more of the cleanup of the exhaust manifolds and elbows, they are nice and clean, painted and ready to be installed. I will not install them until I have all the gaskets and just before I am ready to finish. They weigh a ton, and I don't want to collapse the Engine stand I have on it.

I got the Oil Pump and pickup welded together and I got the oil pan on. As I was cleaning up, i realized part of the 4 part gasket had slipped out, so I think I will take the pan off again and replace the gasket with a "single" gasket.

any thoughts on getting a leak proof oil pan? I hate leaks!

Cannot work on it over the weekend as I will be in Lake Tahoe... sucks to be me :rolleyes:

IMG_9419.JPG

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if anyone else had use electrolysis for rust removal or not, but it works pretty well to make the rust into a more stable form

Never heard of that.

any thoughts on getting a leak proof oil pan? I hate leaks!

What about rtv silicone?

Cannot work on it over the weekend as I will be in Lake Tahoe... sucks to be me :rolleyes:

Nice!

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Man Tahoe was crazy, --- bachelor party --- Lots of partying and LOTS of Beer!:D

Had some time today, and was able to start working on the motor. Spent a lot of time pulling pieces together and getting some paint on. I love the look of a nice painted engine!

Question: can I run the Power Steering pump without any fluid? I want to fire up the engine before I install in the boat, but I don't know if I fill fry the PS pump?

Nuts and Bolts are a constant problem. Me and Ace hardware are friends, I am in every day I work on the boat for a new bolt for some reason or another... Rusted, lost, whatever, it gets to be a mess.

I was able to get the FI system on. This is a Mallory/Hirel aftermarket system, has worked pretty well over the years, don't know if it is any more power, but works pretty well.
IMG_9446.JPG

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing Blown 454 - the Rebuild

No, you can not run the pump without fluid in it. Also, just a suggestion. How old are your manifolds and risers? Ever been in salt water? Unless you are 100% sure they are good there is no way i would invest in a new motor and put old manifolds and risers on it. Asking for trouble. Nice looking boat!

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

No, you can not run the pump without fluid in it. Also, just a suggestion. How old are your manifolds and risers? Ever been in salt water? Unless you are 100% sure they are good there is no way i would invest in a new motor and put old manifolds and risers on it. Asking for trouble. Nice looking boat!

Never touched salt water (live in Colorado, so outside of the water, there is little humidity as well) I have them pulled and they look pretty good, not exactly sure what to look for, but limited rust was my guide...

If I post pictures, would you be able to see/tell how they look?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Motor looks GREAT!!! won't be long now. Sounds like ya had a good time in Tahoe. You are right, not much looks better than a freshly painted motor. Will look very good in your "new" boat. We tried a 23p on it here and it just couldn't push it, I will be willing to bet it will now.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can seal them off and fill them (water areas) with acetone. If there is even a pin hole leak, that will probably find it. Most freshwater manifolds last forever but please be sure they are good so you dont hydrolock that nice new motor. My boat is a 1980, never saw salt water but this year I did have to replace my risers. They went bad on the downward side where the exhaust meets up with the water.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

You can seal them off and fill them (water areas) with acetone. If there is even a pin hole leak, that will probably find it. .

Saw that instruction in the Adults only section - will give that a try...

Boy if this was just a bolt together operation I would be done... but I really spend a lot of time cleaning, painting, testing, getting bolts and parts.... but loving every minute of it!

Anyone have a link to the instruction on how to start the motor on the wiring harness... I know I read it... but cannot find it...

Thanks

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if anyone else had use electrolysis for rust removal or not, but it works pretty well to make the rust into a more stable form

Never heard of that.

Here is a link, it seems to work pretty well. Grind down most of the bad stuff... or at least I did, and it seemed to change out the brown rust to a Black, which according to one of the pages, indicates it is no longer "rusting" the metal.

Hope this helps others... I know rust is a big problem for us...

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Learn something new everyday! yeah I did a google on the rust removal, what medium do you use to soak the parts in?
its lots of work but doing it slowly avoids costly mistakes! I thought I was the only one that thinks its fun! Just swapped gauges/engine/drive to Volvo DP. Tested my engine out yesterday, smooth as silk and fast as he$$

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone have a link to the instruction on how to start the motor on the wiring harness... I know I read it... but cannot find it...

Thanks

You figure it out yet? check your post don s and havasuboatdude replyed.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

You figure it out yet? check your post don s and havasuboatdude replyed.

Oh $H!T, Tahoe must have been harder on the memory than I thought :rolleyes:

Forgot I even posted that....

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Learn something new everyday! yeah I did a google on the rust removal, what medium do you use to soak the parts in?
its lots of work but doing it slowly avoids costly mistakes! I thought I was the only one that thinks its fun! Just swapped gauges/engine/drive to Volvo DP. Tested my engine out yesterday, smooth as silk and fast as he$$

I soaked it in "Washing Soda" Arm and Hammer stuff, about a 3 pound box for like 2 bucks. used my battery charger, and I got a 2"x6" piece of Stainless steel (scrap) for the anode.

At first I used the old Timing Chain for the anode, it worked great, but it was amazing how much it deteriorated the metal. I don't think the Stainless works as well, it seems to take longer, but that could also be less surface area.

It is a blast, Other than the running to a store every other day....

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

You can seal them off and fill them (water areas) with acetone. If there is even a pin hole leak, that will probably find it. Most freshwater manifolds last forever but please be sure they are good so you dont hydrolock that nice new motor. My boat is a 1980, never saw salt water but this year I did have to replace my risers. They went bad on the downward side where the exhaust meets up with the water.

Picked up a gallon of acetone today to check out the manifolds...