1969 6 hp johnson impeller

nemrac

Cadet
Is it possable that i put in the impeller in wrong? I thought i followed the service manual throughly? I just purchased this motor and figured the first thing to do was replace the impeller.Because of the motor sitting around for quite awile without any use.so i took apart the lower unit and replaced the whole impeller with a new housing? The only diffrence is the new impeller housing is smaller in diameter the marina said that this is the new and improved pump.[this is a 1969 johnson 6 hp motor] i started the motor let it run for about 3min i didnt want to over heat the motor so i shut it down. and didnt get any water out of the outlet?I checked the thermostat and there wasent one in there? Would this cause it not to work properly?I just hate to waste all of the fluid and time to take it all apart again is there any way to check if i put in the impeller in wrong without taking it all apart?:confused:

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 6 hp johnson impeller

Are you sure you got the key that locks the impeller to the drive shaft back in when you were re-assembling the lower unit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, you did something wrong in there, so you might as well go back and find out what it is. Either that or you don't have it deep enough on the water.

The shaft turns clockwise when looking at it from above, and the impeller vanes trail back, not poke forward.

nemrac

Cadet

I guess i will re tear it down and check it out thanks for all the advice.