prop vent holes to big??????

I have got a 91 175 evinrude intruder on a 92 20' kingfisher bass boat. Last year I bought a used turbo prop for it put it on the boat would rare up but never plane the motor will rev to nearly 6000 rpm but just never plane. I thought it had a spun hub so I sent it in and had it rehubbed well it does the same thing. It appears that maybe someone drilled the vent holes and I was thinking maybe they are to big they are almost 1/2 inch could this possibly cause this? If so what is the best way to plug them?

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop vent holes to big??????

you can spin out a new hub by not setting it correctly run at idle forward 3-4 min back boat up for 30 sec do this twice then plow water in forward for 1min then hard in revese for 10 sec now you can hit it and go you may also have a bent prop shaft that will never let you set a hub (new hubs need to be seated not just try gunning it) be carefull not to overrev that engine hitting those #'s without planning is bad

I have three other props and all work good but this one. It is not the motor. It will rev to 5400 to 5600. Could the vents cause this problem??

Bondo

Staff member

Could the vents cause this problem??

Yes.....

I donno what Junior is talking about in his Sentence.....:rolleyes:

Thank you bondo do you know of any kind of plug that would work to plug them I thought about maybe tapping them to 1/8 pipe and putting a brass plug in and then file it down. Think that will work or maybe a plastic cap plug installed from the inside but I don't know if it will melt.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... For Testing purposes,.. I'd start with plastic caps,+ See what happens...

muchco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I couple of good temporary fixs that have worked for me on several occasions are:
1) Put some duct tape on the inside of the holes and then fill the hole with some 5 min epoxy. When the epoxy dries you can remove the tape. You can even experminent by drilling out the epoxy in progessivley larger holes to see what your venting should be. Of course this is temporary and you would have to send the prop to a prop shop to have the wholes filled or PVS plugs installed. Mark Coxton in Shelbyville IN is excellent, and has done great work for myself.
2) I have also used SS washsers and SS pop rivets to seal of the holes temporarily. I have used a thin washer just large enough to cover the hole on the outside and the same washer and one smaller on on the inside and held them in place with a pop rivet. Worked great and easy to remove.

What you are describing definetly sounds like your over vented for your application. It's amazing how little venting it takes to get to the point of no return. In my application I have a prop with the Mercury PVS plugs in it and I was using three medium plugs and felt that I could use just a little more venting and I felt that by installing three large plugs would be too much. I marginally drilled out my three medium plastic PVS plugs and the prop slipped to the point I had to feather the throttle to get going. I removed 2 of drilled plugs and replaced them with factory medium plugs, presto the hole shot was perfect. I hope this helps.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Matt, the holes in my props are close to 5/16" for my merc outboard. It sounds like yours are too big.

I wanted to seal the holes in my Rapture Prop for my MerCruiser. I used Stainless oval head screws and nuts to seal the holes. Find screws with heads that sit flush in the holes. Cut the screws to length and using a needle nose plier and screwdriver, install the nuts. You might put a drop of locktight on them. I never had an oz of trouble with the screw plugs.

Thanks for your help guys I really hope that is what is causeing my problem I will post and let you guys know if that's what it was it will be a while got to wait for it to warm up a little the water is still a little to hard in places. Matt