eureka! i found post new thread!!!!

boatfloat

Cadet
oh happy day's! mabey thats why i got no replys, i was in the wrong place.anyway, my question is, if an engine smokes (some) but really gives off a terrible eye-burning kind of smoke(worse than others), what can that be? oil mix is right on, at 50 to 1. carbon build-up? mixture screw adjustments? plugs? starts & revs great(in barrel). a 1975, 65hp. mrec. 3-cyl. w/gapless plugs.i use good oil, also used in other motors that dont make me walk away from, when running motor.. will any answers be in private messages? oh well, another month-long hunt.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: eureka! i found post new thread!!!!

When you run an outboard in a barrel the smoke will always seem to be a lot more and stinkier than if it is being blown away.

In other words, normal.

BTW, you will get a lot more and better responses if you capitalize. Lots of helpers ignore hard to read posts.

boatfloat

Cadet

Ive Ran Plenty Of Motors In Barrel Before. What Im Saying Is, This One Is (much) Different. I Cant Even Stand Near It To Work On It When Running. Its Not So Much The Amount Of Smoke As It Is The Eye-burning Noxious Part Of It. Whats The Diff?

Moody Blue

Captain

Wow, thats really hard to read. JB meant to capitalize only the first letter of each sentence ;)

Have you added anything to the fuel like stabilizer or decarb chemicals?

boatfloat

Cadet

No,nothing added, its fresh gas and good oil. I can use same gas can on different motor, and it dosen't burn your eyes. There is not much build-up on pistons. What can be possible causes? One thing i did notice, it spits until it warms up. If that helps.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If the exhaust is restricted and raising exhaust backpressure well above the normal, then the engine will run stuffed up. Excessive exhaust NOT escaping the cylinder inhibits the combustion of the fresh fuel and oil, causing the noxious fumes and excessive smoke.

You need to remove the exhaust cover and examine the exhaust ports, if they are carbonned up you will have to clean out the sooty build-up.

Also, remove the lower unit and look upward into the motor leg into the exhaust passage, sometimes to soot accumulates in there and restricts the exhaust flow.

boatfloat

Cadet

CharlieB, You da man! That makes sense. Ya know, i already had lower-unit off for impeller change, never noticed if it was carboned up, up in there. Will seafoam or deep creep do the job,or most of it? because all the bolts broke on water-jacket cover when replacing gasket, and i dont want to go through that again on exaust cover. Or do i have to pysically to scrape it off? thanks for understanding the diff between smoke and noxious smoke.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Sea-Foam and Deep Creap MAY eventually do the job, but it may take a number of applications. Your neighbors may not like you much.

If after a couple of these smoky sessions the motor still hasn't improved enough, then the exhaust cover really should come off and physically scrape out the worst of the accumulation. You're talking MAJOR accumulation to restrict exhaust flow this much.

Removing seized SS bolts from older aluminum can be a trick.

Apply heat directly on the head of the bolts, one at a time, absolutely blistering hot, then let then cool completely, like an hour or more. Carefully try to turn the bolt.

Slow steady pressure often just twists the bolt off. SHOCK is needed to break the stuck threads loose. A very small weak impact tool or air gun, like a 1/4 inch drive. Not strong enough to twist off the bolt but the higher frequency of the shocks are often much more successful in removing these stuck bolts.

A small ball peen hammer and rapid light blows to the bolt head while maintaining a light turning pressure with a wrench also works.

Patience is necessary. Getting in a hurry will just cause you to break more bolts.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Try putting it in gear and operating in a forward motion.

Under most all situations withing a few hundred yards of moderate to high load running the smoke will go away. And it's usually not until periods of extended idle operation with a back wind that the problem will reoccur.

Under severe condition it is suggested that one remove the motor entirely from the equation and simply replace with a 4 stroke model or consider some other method of propulsion that does not rely combustion of petroleum products.

Unlike a car with a blown head gasket that is burning coolant or antifreeze, the only component of an acrid exhaust note might be brand, amount, or type of oil (regular, or synthetics), gasoline or contaminates involved, or perhaps metal burning in cylinder like a piston or rings.

boatfloat

Cadet

I ordered 3 cans of deep-creep.There wont be a bug or happy neighbor around here for a mile. I've read alot about also adding deep-creep to gas-tank. will that make same amount of smoke(constantly) as spraying, until fuel is gone? By the way, Thanks for the help. i'm so greatful, i'm going to answer some of those (what year is my motor) questions.