1996 Bayliner 1700 Capri FORCE 120hp HELP

ptc

Recruit
Need some advice.

I am looking at a 1996 Bayliner 1700 Capri with 120HP FORCE outboard motor and galvinized trailer. The boat looks in good condition.

My problem is the 120HP Force outboard motor. From reading the forums I understand there are possible problems with this motor, and that it is no longer being made.

What should I look for in the Force outboard motor, as tell tail signs of problems? The boat is not in the water, it on a trailer therefore running it may be a problem.

If I needed to purchase a replacement outboard, what would I be looking at cost wise for a replacement.

Finally, I expect to go out on local freshwater lake (in Florida) with the boat.
There will be 5 of us in the boat - expect to do a little tubing, and fishing. Is the boat a good size for these activities.

All input is GREATLY Appreciated :)

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: 1996 Bayliner 1700 Capri FORCE 120hp HELP

Welcome to the forum PTC.
I suggest you post the same question up in the Force Repair area and you will get a little more specific feedback. There are some very knowledgeable people in there including Frank Acampora who can shed some excellent light on this for you.
As for myself, I have a 90hp Force on my Bayliner and have absolutely zero complaints. It runs great.:)
You are going to get negative comments about the Force motor and some of the guys in the Force area will be able to tell you why....very interesting and a lot of it is a bit of a myth.
Regardless, what you should be looking for tho' is a well maintained motor first and then consider brand name association second. ;)
The motor should be compression tested prior to purchase. As well, I highly recommend that you push for a water test or in lieu of that a highly reduced price....just in case something is wrong with the boat or motor.
The motor can be run somewhat in the driveway with some 'muffs' on it but that is only a minor preliminary test. It doesn't help with the function of the lower unit, high speed, top speed, etc.
Again, post your enquiry up in the Force area....you will get some excellent feedback.
Good Luck
BP:cool: