T-stat Stats...

toystory_4wd

Cadet
Hey! Before I get any further, I AM trying to get a manual, but while I wait...
I've got a '76 (I think) 'rude 40 with an overheat issue- I suspect a frozen thermostat- if it has one! Would anyone here happen to know if this motor uses a t-stat, and where it's located? My outboard knowledge is rather limited, and I just have no idea where it might me. (Perhaps under the flywheel?)
Thanks- Chris

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: T-stat Stats...

Under the flywheel, heck no. You'll find bits of the ignition system under there. Stator coils, breakers, condensers (if it is as old as '76)

As far as I can see a '76 model does not have a thermostat.

When did you last renew the water pump impeller?

Suggest you post the model number which should be on a plate on the transom bracket, maybe on a core plug on the power head somewhere too, then we can identify the year for you.

toystory_4wd

Cadet

I'll have to dig up the model number after work one of these nights... I checked the impeller after the problem occurred, and it's in pristine condition. I even tried blowing some compressed air around to maybe hel clear a blocked cooling passage and got nowhere, which led me to think thermostat. But for all the mechanical things I've played with in my life, I've got no clue where it might be on this thing. If it hasn't got one, that explains why I can't find it, but puts me further away from figuring out the issue...
Cheers- Chris

toystory_4wd

Cadet

Okay- Model number is 40554C- which seems to mean it's a 1975. So...
Thermostat? Thanks- Chris