1959 10hp evinrude

coolguy147

Commander
ok i fixed the cold start problem. its starts on 2-3 pulls now. its doesnt lean sneeze anymore. runs up good and everything. runs great.

well if i shut the motor down maybe 10 minutes. it wont start up again. its will try then shut down and do that for about 2-3 pulls. the motor all the time seems to flood its self. i dont know what to do. when i did kill the motor i use the kill switch right. u think that this is the problem. this one time it flooded so badly i couldnt get it start after cleaning the plugs constantly. so i put in new plugs it started right on the first pull see thats the problem its keeps flooding it self im not sure what to do. if i kill the motor by turning the throttle down will this solve my problem.

by the way if i shut the motor down then start it up right after it starts on the first pull. what do i do?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 10hp evinrude

Hmmmm. 10 HP. 1959. Pressure tank. Flooding after sitting.....Check the float level and needle valve. Sounds like it's not sealing up quite all of the way. Take the carb off, drain the gas out, turn it upside down, and try to blow through it. The needle valve need to close TIGHT on the pressure tank system, or it keeps shooting fuel into the carb after it's shut off.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its not the carb double check the points to make sure the are clean, I had a similar prob. and found out oil was wetting them down.

coolguy147

Commander

nah i got good spark on my motor just re did my ignition system about a few months ago

coolguy147

Commander

might just go ahead and give my carb another cleaning. i rebuilt maybe 2-3 months ago

jbjennings

Captain

Leaky float needle is my vote as well. I'd bet on it.
Fix it and forget it------if your tank is clean.
JBJ​

coolguy147

Commander

u think i should go ahead and rebuild and clean again?

i use sierra kits since i already got a new float in it. is that ok? to use sierra

what about letting the pressure out before i turn it off ? only thing i might see to that is it building its own pressure from the sun and heat outside.

man i didnt want to take my motor off and summer is practically here

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, that is a classic symptom of two things:
1. A leaking float valve, which we have discussed the daylights out of already.

2. Even more, it is a notorious symptom of bad coils. You say you checked the ignition. Are you sure you didn't turn a blind eye on the coils? The "good spark" doesn't impress me the least bit. But if you replaced the coils, I take it back.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

adjust you float, when upside down, so the end opposite the hinge, has a little more distance, from the body, than the hinge side. it sounds like the float is not seating the needle all the way. if you are careful, you can do this with out a new kit.

coolguy147

Commander

adjust you float, when upside down, so the end opposite the hinge, has a little more distance, from the body, than the hinge side. it sounds like the float is not seating the needle all the way. if you are careful, you can do this with out a new kit.

so what ur saying is when the carb is upside down? move the float so its slightly not parallel with the carb. so u want it more in or out? i was thinking out since in would let more fuel in before it acually closes:confused: