Water in Pontoons

wdilger

Recruit
I have a Tracker Party Barge 22'. There is water in the pontoons. How do I get the water out. There are 2 fitting on the top of the pontoons but I don't see any way to drain them.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Water in Pontoons

I had the same problem. I went through trying to siphon, trying the little pump attachment that attaches to a drill, trying to modify a bilge/live well pump etc., all to no avail. What worked really well was a small 12v pump that had a garden hose size attachment in and out. If the access hole in your toon is smaller, you'll have to adapt it for smaller. A short piece of pipe, longer than the diameter of your tube with the bottom end cut on an angle will work. I'm in Canada and bought my pump at Princess Auto. I don't know where your located, but would likely find one similiar at Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware or a place like that.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well the pump idea should work but you still need to find out where the water is getting in there. So there is going to have to be a pressure test to find that. Maybe you can find an aluminum welder and drill a small hole to drain it and then pressure test it and weld that hole up too. Thats my 2 cents worth.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i am lucky as i have drains on the bottom of the stern of each tube. i am think of installing a livewell pump to each drain.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would find a local welder to do it, getting the water out is only half the problem, you need to find and fix the leak.

Sometimes you can throw air on the tube and actually see water coming out but most of the time it isn't that easy, the leak will be at the back of the rear brackets, a major stress point and prone to crack or it could be a pin hole in the tube.

Use NO MORE than 5 PSI(see first post in this forum to see why) and some dish soap(we use Polmolive) in a spray bottle and hit everything you can reach.

I will drill a 1/4'' hole at the back of each section to drain the tubes then use an air nozzle to blow air in the hole and have a second person spray the tube and find the leak, blow air in then put your finger on the hole and listen for air leaks then do the soap, leave the plugs in for this part.

When your guy goes to weld the leaks he has to pull the plugs or it will never weld, pressure builds up in the tube and blowds out the hole you are trying to weld and it will never seal so pull the plugs before you weld.

Been in a pontoon weld shop for 22 years and have done this repair many many times.