Cannot figure out a lean running 93 140hp

jeffj254

Cadet
I have a 1976 17' Glasply runabout that I restored about 3 years ago. Originally it has a '92 Evinrude 70hp on it that after a bit of work ran perfectly. I'm a water skier though, and wanted more power, so I traded in the 70 on a 1993 140hp. This has proved to be a poor decision.

When the motor was first on the boat it seemed to run OK. Test run near the shop that I bought it from didn't show any problems.

Over the next month it started to show symptoms of running lean at idle. It would spit and sneeze and all of that. It didn't seem to be a fueling issue as the carbs were always full of fuel and squeezing the fuel bulb didn't do anything.

The first thing I did was rebuild all 4 carbs. This motor has the stupid plastic non-adjustable carbs which were a major pain to get to seal again, but I eventually got everything back on, with no change in performance.

Since then I've done plugs and plug wires, changed out all of the recirc fittings, put new throttle body gaskets on, and checked compression (145 in all cylinders)

The symptoms have done nothing but get worse, the motor now won't idle at all. It used to be it would spit and stutter for a while before it stalled, now it's almost immediate. If you rev it up, it runs perfectly, makes good power, no problems. Once you throttle back it starts to sneeze again, and quickly dies.

I'm really running out of things to check. I finally gave in and took it to a mechanic, I'm pretty new to outboards so I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something simple. $500 later they told me they couldn't find anything wrong, and the next step they wanted to take was to pull the powerhead and check the lower crankshaft seal.

I'm now working on it again myself. I found that a different suffix of the 140 model came with a carburetor with an adjustable air bleed. I compared the part numbers for everything else around the upper carb body and found them the same, so I bought 4 of the upper bodies and put them on my existing lowers. This hasn't changed anything, adjusting the bleed screw doesn't make any difference. It's obvious that there is some sort of large air leak coming from somewhere else.

Just today I've started tearing apart the intake side of the motor again. My current plan is to replace all of the reed plates and all of the gaskets from the crankcase on out. The reed plates look just fine to me, no cracks or chunks missing, all of them seem to be sealing properly, but I'm so completely out of ideas that I don't know what else to try. There just aren't many other places for it to be leaking.

I have a really tough time believing what the shop told me about the lower crank seal. I asked another mechanic about that and he said that normally I would see evidence of rust in the lower cylinders if that seal was bad. Plus it just seems like a really strange part to fail so significantly. Should I actually pull the powerhead and replace this seal? What about the upper crankshaft seal? My Dad is starting to think I should just junk most of the motor and buy a reman'd short/long block. I'm having a hard time getting onboard with this as the current motor runs so well at speed.

If you made it this far, sorry for the long post. This boat was originally my grandfathers, and has a bit of nostalgia associated with it, I really really want to get it running again.

Does anyone else have any ideas of what I should look at?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cannot figure out a lean running 93 140hp

Maybe try shooting some premix into each carb to see if the problem can be isolated to a particular carb. If the motor evens out, that might point in the right direction.

You still could have some varnish in one. Did you use compressed air and a fine wire while cleaning the carbs?

Does it "rev up nice" in gear out on the water...or just on muffs?

MAS

coolguy147

Commander

well only i can see is carbs but there is always the possbility thats u have some air leak somewhere. u know if its the seal thats seals the crankcase. its possbiel thats its letting air in? then making it to lean to acually run the motor?

how does the motor acually start up and stuff? hard? or normal

jeffj254

Cadet

Thanks for the replies

It revs up just fine both in gear on the water and on the trailer with the muffs. Acts like a normal outboard at speed, though it does make an odd whuffling noise if you back off the throttle quickly at high speed.

I've tried spraying into the carbs to isolate just one, but I've never gotten conclusive results. If it is just one bad cylinder, it's not being obvious about it.

It starts just fine, though the fast idle lever needs to be up. The only way to keep it running at idle is to rev it repeatedly with the fast idle lever.

The crankcase seal (I assume you mean the one between the two halves of the crankcase) seems fine, I would think I'd be able to see a leak in this one just by looking at the engine while it's running.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you rebuilt the carbs, did you remove all of the jets and blow compressed air through them? You have to take them completely out to get out all the crud. Did you get the floats set correctly when you did the carbs?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

What about a link n sync? Or, the possibility that you have sheared the flywheel key putting your timing off?

MAS

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To start you must determine where the air leak is
I prefer to cover my carbs with a light cloth
If the carb covered is leaking you will know quickly
you may have to cover 2 carbs at the same time,
as in a manifold leak
my understanding of the crank seals is if the bottom seal is bad you should only have the bottom cylinder lean
the next thing to try is some spray carb cleaner
give just small shots around the carb bases and reed plates
also spray on the hoses
any leaks in these areas will take a few seconds to show when
sprayed with the cleaner
another place to check is the hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump
with your description what ever is the problem it is continuing to
grow and get worse with each running
to me this means there is at least 2 cylinders involved
a cracked intake manifold or reed plate or (crack in the block)
good luck Mike
P.S.
be sure to check the small lines from the choke valve lines to the crank case

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets start at the begininng. Are you running the airbox as it was produced with the inner baffle? What spark plugs are you using?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Also remember to check the re-circ hoses for any cracking.

Ensure that the timer base is moving freely and fully returning to the idle position.

jeffj254

Cadet

Lets start at the begininng. Are you running the airbox as it was produced with the inner baffle? What spark plugs are you using?

Stock airbox with baffle (I assume you mean the inner plate that fits over the carbs)

Spark plugs are OEM OMC plugs, as are the plug wires.

I'll double check the recirc hoses next time I get a chance to work on it. I'm also going to try to find a syringe and do the real recirc test.

Timer base seems to move freely, though I'll double check it's returning completely to the idle position. I've tried to check the timing back when it was in the water last and it seemed to be correct. The biggest problem is that the motor runs so poorly that it's tough to do a lot of diagnosis.

I'm going to take the reed plates in to a local mechanics shop to get them checked out. They look fine to me, but I'd like to get an expert set of eyes on them.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the replies

It revs up just fine both in gear on the water and on the trailer with the muffs. Acts like a normal outboard at speed, though it does make an odd whuffling noise if you back off the throttle quickly at high speed.

I've tried spraying into the carbs to isolate just one, but I've never gotten conclusive results. If it is just one bad cylinder, it's not being obvious about it.

It starts just fine, though the fast idle lever needs to be up. The only way to keep it running at idle is to rev it repeatedly with the fast idle lever.

Remove the vacuum/pressure pulse hose from between the engine and the fuel pump. Check for fuel. Squeeze the primer bulb and watch the fuel pump for ANY fuel from that port.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nothing to add..... as I was reading this I was thinking ..... I bet Dhadley would be able to help ;) and low and behold...... he has posted. You have the best involved.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bob, maybe not the best but been there on those motors.

OK, we have the stock airbox, make sure the plugs are Champion QL77JC4. Then take a look at the plates on the side of each carb body. We use Engine Tune to spray around each one to find an air leak.

As for the reeds, each leaf should be seated. If you can see any light they'll suck air. You may see a tiny bit but if it'll seat by pressing it with a piece of paper it should be OK. It's kinda common for the reed box base gasket to get out of place.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i would check the idle timing.
just to make sure its correct.

jeffj254

Cadet

This is all great stuff, thanks a bunch. Next time I get a chance to work on it I'll report back. Currently the top end of the motor is taken apart all the way down to the crankcase, so before I can test things with the motor running the plan is to get all new gaskets and very carefully put everything back together. I'll take another look at the reed valves, but they look perfect going by what people have said.

I'll grab a can of engine tune, but I'm not quite sure what will happen if I spray it at the plates and there's a leak. Will I hear bubbling or will it just start to idle better?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you spray it at the bases and there is a leak it shoud make the motor reve up and idle better. Basically you are introducing fuel into the airstream.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

ON the looper 120-140 engines, the factory recommended plug is the extended nose QL78YC gapped to .030".

Have you checked the reed box gaskets? They are known to buckle or tear, sometimes you can see a piece of one with the carb removed pushing through the intake manifold.

Have you checked the thermostats and determined that the motor is idling at around 140? on each cylinder bank? If not it will pop lean.

If the carbs are not closed fully at idle, it will pop lean.

You can stick a toothpick in the idle air bleed jets to richen up one carb at a time to see which cylinder is the culprit, then troubleshoot from there.

Decarbon the motor 2 times leaving it to soak overnight following the directions on the can of Evinrude Engine Tuner. Carbon stuck rings can also cause popping back at idle.

Good Luck

jeffj254

Cadet

ON the looper 120-140 engines, the factory recommended plug is the extended nose QL78YC gapped to .030".

Have you checked the reed box gaskets? They are known to buckle or tear, sometimes you can see a piece of one with the carb removed pushing through the intake manifold.

Have you checked the thermostats and determined that the motor is idling at around 140? on each cylinder bank? If not it will pop lean.

If the carbs are not closed fully at idle, it will pop lean.

You can stick a toothpick in the idle air bleed jets to richen up one carb at a time to see which cylinder is the culprit, then troubleshoot from there.

Decarbon the motor 2 times leaving it to soak overnight following the directions on the can of Evinrude Engine Tuner. Carbon stuck rings can also cause popping back at idle.

Good Luck

I'll double check the part number and gap on the plugs. They were bought from a local shop with the part number straight off the microfiche. Most likely they're correct.

I've got all new intake gaskets on the way, including reed box gaskets. Even if they aren't bad I'm still going to replace them.

I don't have a good way to read the temp on the heads, though I did test both thermostats by dropping them in boiling water, they both opened like they should. One interesting thing I've noticed is that this motor doesn't put much of a stream of water out of the telltale. The other outboards I've worked on put a pretty good jet out. My old 70 was weak when I first got it, but after replacing the water pump it was much stronger. Not sure if this is normal or not, though while I've got the motor disassembled I"m going to do the water pump. Maybe I'll jus replace the thermostats while I'm at it.

Carbs seem to be fully closed, nothing wrong with the linkage as far as I can tell.

I tried the toothpick trick last time the boat was in the water, didn't get any conclusive results. I've had a tough time determining if it's just one cylinder.

I decarbed it once, I guess I'll do it again when it's running.

Hopefully all the parts will arrive by this weekend and I'll be able to spend some time on it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your engine may not be releasing the timing advance from QuikStart.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i agree thats why he should check the idle timing.