1983 omc impeller

6racer

Cadet
hey guys this might be a stupid question but my dad keeps talkin about check to see if my impeller is worn on my 3.8 omc, cause he dont want us burning up out in the middle of the lake so do i have one? and how hard are they to replace if i do .. i mean it runs cool now so any info would be great.. thanks guys

Nick

WizeOne

Commander
Re: 1983 omc impeller

How old is it? It is twice the size of the black anchor impellers and as far as my experience goes, it outlasts them 10 to 1. Considering the age and assuming you have no knowledge of it's last changing, it would be prudent to change it. Just don't worry that you'll need to do it in the near future.

I changed my first one at 15 years and well over a thousand hours. It had taken a set but otherwize looked good. If you run it dry or injest sand, all bets are off.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Luck wins out over preventive maintenance again.........

How lucky do you feel?????

6racer

Cadet

im sorry if i havent told you guys but i got the boat from my aunt 2 weeks ago and it has been sittin for 10 years,

WizeOne

Commander

im sorry if i havent told you guys but i got the boat from my aunt 2 weeks ago and it has been sittin for 10 years,

I'd change it then. It's probably the original plus aging from non use.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Six
You might want to get a service manual off Ebay.
It takes a little mechanical experance to do these but its not that hard .
Just follow the manual and be sure you disconnect the battery,even pull it out of the boat just to make sure you don't short the $300 shift cable across
a terminal and ruin it. Take your time when pulling the cable from the housing . I use a lot of WD 40 there. One other thing you have swivel seals on the lower unit that are exposed,check them for wear.this is the time to change them. Give the swivel bearing about 12 shots of OMC triple guard grease after you reinstall the drive. This seals the exhaust gasses out of the water pump area that wii cause over heating.
PM me if you need more help.
Good luck,BEEF