Water in Oil - 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0 SX

alfy1987

Cadet
Before anyone tells me to use the search function, I have been exploring google for months to help me find and answer to this question.

Quite literaly days after purchasing the above mentioned vessle we had water within the oil, noticed after the valve in cyclinder 1 cracked. We dismantled the head and made the neccessary repairs. This included having the head pressure tested (which came back fine), replaced the head gasket. we noticed the 'flap' with the exhaust was missing so replaced this and more recently we replaced the exhaust manifold.

Since all this has been done water is still getting into the oil. Our first thoughts were that the existing condenstation was causing the problem, but the water is incredibly milkly. The oil has been changed several times along with the oil filter.

All we can presume now is there is a crack in the block, but im led to believe these are extremelly durable - is there anyway to test?

What seeems the strangest is that the boat is now running perfectly, when the hose is attached with ears, the oil remains fine. But after a day on the water it isnt anymore. Can there be anything at the transom causing the problem.

Because i have the feeling we are only getting water in the oil when the boat is in the water. Could this be because the engine is getting hot enough for any cracks to expand?

Any usefull information would be appreciated, please dont not waste time posting any critiscm or pointless posts it helps noone. Must of the threads i have read have a question with some suggestions but no final results.

Thanks again in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in Oil - 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0 SX

All we can presume now is there is a crack in the block, but im led to believe these are extremelly durable - is there anyway to test?
Any usefull information would be appreciated, please dont not waste time posting any critiscm or pointless posts it helps noone. Must of the threads i have read have a question with some suggestions but no final results.

Ayuh,... I donno how Useful you'll find My post,+ there's rarely a Conclusion to the Problem, because the Original posters don't come back to Tell Us,...
Muchless a Thank You or something,...

Anyways,......
To Test your Block,....
Drain the block of All Water,...
Isolate the block's Cooling sysyem,...
Vise-grips on hoses,.. Bolts in hoses,+ clamped,.. Whatever it takes...
Then pressurize the cooling system with about 15/ 20psi. of Air,+ Listen....
If it's Cracked or Leaking,... You'll Hear the air excaping,... Follow the Sound....

alfy1987

Cadet

Thanks alot for your reply and the helpful tip. Ill make sure i follow up once the engine is stripped and your method tested.

Been reading all over the place and it look varely rarely to be the block. Is there any chance of testing the exhaust riser? Ive read these are more prone to leaking than the manifold.

Do you have any other usefully checks for the cooling system?

Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Is there any chance of testing the exhaust riser? Ive read these are more prone to leaking than the manifold.

Ayuh,.. Just Pull it off for a Visual,+ clean the gasket surfaces... Look for Rust...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you pull the head and start taking the engine apart. Pressure check the block to see if there is a leak. Otherwise, you will be replacing parts and hopeing you find the problem, you need to know the location of the leak, at least engine or manifold before you take it apart.

alfy1987

Cadet

Thanks again.

Wouldnt it be difficult to hear an internal leak from the block with head etc still on?

The problem being have already stripped the top wnd once and didnt see a problem and the gault is still there

havasuboatman

Ensign

I would check your exhaust manifolds for leaks first. Simply because you said that you don't get water in the oil when running the engine with the hose hooked up. With the hose, the engine block will reach operating temp. (because of the thermostadt.) Your exhaust manifolds, without the load on the engine, don't get nearly as hot on the hose as they do when the boat is in the water. My money is on the exhaust manifolds/risers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Leaking manifolds will not put water in the oil when the engine is running. The only place the manifolds will put water in is the exhaust cavity of the manifold. And trust me, the exhaust is blowing the water out faster than it's coming in. If it was leaking after you shut it off, you would also have water in one or 2 cylinders that had the valves open, and the water then have to run past the rings (ain't going to happen) and into the pan. or you would have a hydroloc.

alfy1987

Cadet

Thanks again for everyones help. Don do you recommend i check the block as per bonds post? If there is a crack is there any way to repair?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

If you pressure test it as I described, with the Sparkplugs out,...
You can listen thru the sparkplug holes for a headgasket leak...
Or thru the oil fill,+ dipstick hole to see about where it's leaking...

If it's a Failed gasket,..It's repairable...
If you hear the leak down low in the motor, it's probably a Cracked Block...
The only Fix for a Cracked Block is Replacement...

alfy1987

Cadet

**Update**

Still have the same problem with water in the oil. Have taken the head off and made visual checks, all seems fine (this has already been pressure tested and skimmed).

The pistons and face of the block look fine to. Blocked all of the water lets and used air to pressure test - still couldnt see or hear anything (had a pipe inside the dipstick).

Really runnning out of ideas now. Were going to have the head tested again to double check they did actual test it.

Anyone with any other ideas?

bishop12

Seaman Apprentice

I am actually dealing with this very same issue right now. Mine ended up being a warped head causing the head gasket not to seal around the water jackets. The way I found it was a compression check and pulled the head of and found that one of my pistons was very clean looking. Its sounds more like your block is cracked around one of the water jackets . This is like a blind man chasing a ghost. Very hard to find and can get very expensive.Whilse you have the head off look very closley at the tops of the pistons for differences to see if its coming in thru the cylinders or the bottom half.

-alfy-

Recruit

Ok an update!

So the head has been tested and that was fine, we have now completely removed the engine from the boat and stripped the bottom end.

Had the block tested and has come back fine also.

All i can presume is we originally had water come up through the exhaust due to a missing flap and this left water has never been cleared!

Can anyone think of anything i might be missing here! Could a bad starter cause this problem?

It feels like ill put alot of effort into putting the engine all back together and then have the same problem?

The previous owners apparently had an oil pump failure, so the cylinders have been bored with oversized pistons and new shells.

From also reading the original advertisement, the transom has been replaced?! Im not sure how relevant this it with relation to water in the oil? As i get the impression the issue with water in the oil is only when the boat is in the water and not running on the drive with ears!

Any further help is appreciated!

cr2k

Captain

What I've seen is cracked cyls. back of 2 or front of 3 right below the head surface. Also warped surface allowing gasket to leak.

And yes you can leak water in through the exhaust valve and hydraulic it passed the rings in to the oil pan. Seen it several times.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever pressure test the cooling system with the head on? Seems like this was suggested around 3 times already but all I have read was that the heads were pressure tested.

-alfy-

Recruit

We didnt get chance as the head was already off. Considering both the head and block have been tested and results are fine, would checking the cooling system once its all back together tell me anything( sorry if this is obvious).

If it was a warped head wouldnt this cause a constant leak as apposed to when at tempature. I also havent seen a thermostat.

On a seperate note can anyone kindly provide all torque settings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

would checking the cooling system once its all back together tell me anything( sorry if this is obvious).
I certainly would. Basically, you are starting from ground zero.

How did you put the head on without knowing the correct torque values and head bolt tightening sequence?

-alfy-

Recruit

They came with the head gasket last time. However i dont have it anymore and need the settings for the crank shaft and con rods.

Why do you ask?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I was just wonderring how you put on the head. Apparently you knew the torque then. If you didn't do the head corectly, thought it would explain things that are happening.

alfy1987

Cadet

Wow!

Nearly a year on and not really any closer to finding an obvious problem!!!

Having a slight issue with the timing at the moment so if anyone can refer me to usefull guide that would be appreciated. (I am trawling through the search function).

Alot of people are thinking our issue could be because of condensation, does anyone have views on this.

many thanks